question

hope avatar image
hope asked

BMS low voltage shutdown with Victron Smart Lithium batteries

I have 4 x 150amp Victron Smart Lithium batteries as the house bank on our sailing yacht. The batteries are connected to a BMS 12/200. I have been experiencing what I assume are low voltage shutdowns caused by the BMS. In the specs on the BMS it states this shutdown is set at approx 11V. Mine shuts down at exactly 12V. Can my BMS be programmed to a shutdown of 11V? The equipment is about 14 months old. The shutdown happens with or without the charger/inverter on.

BMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Hope

Can you connect to each of the batteries directly with VictronConnect during one of these shutdowns and take screenshots of what you see?

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

hope avatar image hope commented ·

Guy, thanks for the quick reply. Batteries almost finished charging now but will let them run down to the shutdown over night and collect the data you want and get back to you.

0 Likes 0 ·

It would also be a good idea to do the same when you consider them to be fully charged, for comparison.

0 Likes 0 ·
hope avatar image hope commented ·

Guy, Shutdown reason found

When I looked at individual cell voltages and the LV shutdown option setting it was clear the cell 2 on one battery was dropping below the LV shutdown figure. But the C1 and C4 figures were still OK. So I charged the batteries via the engine alternator whilst motor sailing for about around 20 hours. After this the batteries had a voltage of about 13.4V and all the cells were the reading the same. Overnight and this morning we used about 300AH and the BMV 702 shows a voltage of 13.1V and all 16 cells are reading 3.27V. But my problem is now the chargers will not charge the batteries. The Digital Multi Control shows ABS stage of charging but the VE Config 3 software shows ZERO DC charging to the batteries and the SOC on the VE "Monitor" shows all green lights for SOC - ie SOC is 100%. But the BMV 702 shows SOC as 52%? How do I get the charger to see the real SOC? I have tried the usual Microsoft solution - turn all power off on board for 10 minutes then restarted, then turned on the charger via the DMC but the VE Congif is still showing SOC as 100%.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @Hope,

Can you please search the community for other existing answers on SOC, there is lots of existing answers, as well as the sections of the product manuals for both of those.

If you can't find an answer, please ask it as a new question.

0 Likes 0 ·
hope avatar image hope Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

I spent most of yesterday doing just that with no success. I will start a new question as you suggest.

0 Likes 0 ·

Thanks, with the right question title hopefully it will be easier for the next person to find :)

0 Likes 0 ·
hope avatar image
hope answered ·

Lithium battery data for Victron Comm 28 May 20 pdf.pdf

Guy,

I am unable to do a screen shot of the data on the Victronconnect App on my smart phone but I have recorded the data on a spreadsheet which is attached as a PDF.

What I noticed is that cell 2 on battery 2 dropped below 2.8V (the allowed -to-discharge cell voltage was set at 2.8V). Whilst the other cells on Battery 2 and other batteries were higher. Interestingly all batteries showed cells 2 & 3 lower than cells 1 and 4?

I have now changed the "allowed-to-discharge cell voltage on each battery to 2.75V. When I did this on Battery 2 the boat system started again as all the batteries came back on line.

Thanks in advance for your instruction.

1 comment
2 |3000

Happy to hear the blackouts have stopped for now.

The battery cells are still unbalanced though, 3.1V to 2.8V.

They need to be charged up full and kept charged for some time, preferably individually, until the internal cells all return to a similar voltage.

0 Likes 0 ·