question

doire avatar image
doire asked

GX Wi Fi fails

My Venus GX connected for 10 days reliably through a WiFi dongle connecting to my router about 20 m distance (through a window and wall). Nothing I do now will get it to reconnect- rebooted CGX, router, tried different dongles etc.

Since a host of other devices will reliably reconnect at the same distance, I surmise that there is something odd about the 2.22 firmware. It seems it will not continue to seek a new DHCP address with a communication failure takes place. I am minded to purchase an enhanced dongle with external antenna such as the Asus unit listed, but it will require the next firmware update for drivers--- and that might fix the current difficulty all by itself!

Does anyone know when a firmware update with better USB wifi dongle support will be available?

remote consolewifi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

I have found these Ethernet over powerline units to be very reliable when it isn’t easy to run Ethernet directly.

https://www.rpc.com.au/catalog/enphase-ethernet-over-powerline-bridge-pair-p-4161.html

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi; tomorrow or early next week I’ll make the first v2.30 release candidate available.

It does have a fix for a dhcp regression; but chances to hit that are soooo small (orso we think ;o). ).

In the mean time; could you try your previous firmware and let me know how that works for you? You can revert it real easy; see the firmware menu.

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi, v2.30~23 is available now as a release candidate; it adds the drivers for the ASUS wifi model which we've recently added to the list of support modules.

0 Likes 0 ·
doire avatar image
doire answered ·

Thank you both. I have not had the same success with the powerline adapters-- there are different power distribution boards.

I am reluctant to step back on the firmware, since the system is still functioning well-- I can monitor by getting physically within range or the local router and log on to its network. I shall wait for the update.

Incidentally, I can find no supplier of the recommended WiFi dongles-- all seem to be out of stock or superceded on both Amazon and eBay.

Here's hoping that the update contains the driver for the Asus unit recommended

2 comments
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi, yes it does contain the update. And; you never know with wifi and linux: it might fix the issue with the existing one as well.

0 Likes 0 ·
rbritton avatar image rbritton commented ·

Aside from the Nano adapter, I was never able to find any of the other recommended ones in stock at any store. They do seem to be sporadically available by various sellers on eBay, though.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic