question

erutan avatar image
erutan asked

Two batteries + temperature with SmartSolar 100/30 and BMV-712 with a smart battery sense dongle?

I have had a SmartSolar 100/30 installed for around a month, and am going to install a 712 that just arrived.

While not critical, it'd be nice to be able to get the voltage from both of the batteries in my aux bank (2x LiFePo4 12v @ 180AH in parallel) just in case they get out of alignment (though the regulators on them should handle that) as well as temperature (so my smartsolar doesn't try to charge my batteries when they're too cold later in the year - more important!).

It seems like if I'm going to buy a bmv temperature cable for $21 that'll take the place of my second voltage sensing cable, I might as well just get a https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/smart-battery-sense for my solar charger for $31 (well $39 for the newer version) and pull in temp with that and be able to get the voltage of both of my batteries.

Possible downsides:

1 - The voltage sensing on the bmv is supposed to be more accurate than that from the smart dongle, could that create conflicts?

2 - Having three things that need to communicate over bluetooth instead of two. Is the complexity worth it?

BMV Battery MonitorTemperature Sensorsmart solar set-up help
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
mrseas avatar image
mrseas answered ยท

You can network" the 712 and the 100/30 via BT. If you add a Temp senor to the 712 the Temp and Voltage will be shared via the network.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

erutan avatar image erutan commented ยท

If I connect a temp sensor to the 712 I lose my second voltage sensor on it, hence asking if there's any adverse effects of having both the 712 and a smart battery sense on the same network.

0 Likes 0 ยท

Related Resources

Victron BMV battery monitors product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron temperature sensor disambiguation table - which product supports which sensor