question

jaetzold avatar image
jaetzold asked

Does this Van setup make sense?

I'm converting a Van to an office/camper.

I just finished planning my energy system (Or at least think so) and maybe someone here wants to have a look and comment on whether it makes sense? Or maybe give suggestions to improve it?

Energy requirements are between 500-1000Wh per day, depending on usage. And it's mostly used to power a fridge, a diesel heater, lights and some computer equipment. When the sun is shining or the batteries are well charged for other reasons I'm also thinking to do some light cooking which i think might add another 200-500Wh.

The target is to be able to cover about 4 days before needing to charge again, even with bad weather and no driving involved.

Elektrik_3.pdf

victron productswiringcampervan
elektrik-3.pdf (4.5 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ยท

Hi @jaetzold

You're very thorough, good work.

Without delving to all the gritty details, there's a couple of little things stand out for me. You may have good reason, so be it.

1/ Why not a Multiplus instead of separate inverter & charger? There's good reason(s) they're so popular.

2/ That bunch of thermal (button/lever) breakers will likely drive you crazy with spurious trips and the heat they generate and pass down the wires. Isolators and fuses might seem 'clunkier', but they're better.

3/ Not sure of the purpose of the Cyrix?

4/ It's ok to spec all the bluetooth kit, but with a Cerbo in the mix, concentrate on networking it all in with that. If done right, you may rarely use the BT.

Maybe compare your system with this: https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2019/06/18/the-victron-van-install/ And ask why yours may be different in places.

I wish you well with it.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jaetzold avatar image jaetzold commented ยท

Thanks for your answer and your kind words.

1/ I thought long about this and was only maybe 60% leaning towards the separate inverter & charger. The main reason being, that the (AFAIK) newer phoenix smart only draws 0,6W when in search mode with no load whereas the Multiplus C draws 3W (Both assumed 2000VA units). To me this would probably mean the difference between not caring to switch it on/off and only switching it on manually when actually needed. Plus: I expect to only occasionally be connected to external power.
But i really like the capabilities of the Multi too, so I'm somewhat torn here.

2/ Good tip, I'll revise this part then, thanks.

3/ Me neither. I guess all the charge components could be switched off directly by the BMS. But this plan has it too, so i though there must be a good reason: https://www.victronenergy.de/upload/documents/1.6KVA-12V-MultiPlus-230-Volt-system-example-4-PIN-VE-Bus-BMS-Lithium-Orion-Tr.pdf

4/ True. But initial setup and config might still be easier this way. And at least the smart version of the BP are also better in that they have a smaller current draw. I thought this might apply to other units as well (Because they are newer designs maybe?).

Anyway, Thank you very much. I really appreciate the feedback.

0 Likes 0 ยท

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic