question

kosio86 avatar image
kosio86 asked

RJ port purpose on old 1000w Phoenix Inverter

Hi,

I own an old Phoenix 1000w inverter. It came with my kastenwagen. It is great-robust and quiet, although old. Its serial number starts with 14, but I am not sure how old is it. I recently converted my entire system to lifepo4 and replaced pretty much everything, but I like the inverter and don't feel like changing it.

So, there is a RJ port on it and I cannot figure out what's it for. In the manual it only says "For future use". Has this Futuristic time arrived alreay? Can I buy some cable and set anything through it? I want to set low cut off voltage to something higher than 10.6, or interconnect it with my other victron devices.

Phoenix Inverter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Margreet Leeftink (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Margreet Leeftink (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

This is a very old unit. It is pre-VE.Bus. The Rj45 did eventually get a purpose, it was used to connect a control panel to and to program the unit via computer. But this unit is so old that it will not connect to modern control panels or a GX device, even accessing the software settings are tricky and depending on age of this unit might not be possible at all. This is the link to it's manual: https://www.victronenergy.com/Manuals/phoenix/Phoenix12_1000/GBISM010037000_REV0020030304.pdf

The only thing that might be handy for use with lithium batteries is to remotely turn the unit of when the lithium BMS generates a do not discharge signal. Use the Phoenix 12/1000 remote on/off function connector to connect to the lithium BMS, see chapter 2.2. in the manual.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kosio86 avatar image
kosio86 answered ·

Hi,

Thanks for the answer. It is old but I can't see a reason to change it since it is working as a charm. I have the very same manual as the one you provided, but it is not very helpful. It says that the RJ port is "For future use".

Another question I have about it, which is not clarified in the manual, again: it is connected to a Battery after 120A fuse, directly. Then I have Smart BP100A and I wanted to disconnect the inverter using the BP, but both manuals say I shouldn't do this. It is recommended to use the remote switch trough the BP, however I can't figure how exactly. The remote switch pins on the inverter are two-left(L)-ground? and right-outputs +12v(H) . When shorted the inverter is on. So according to the manual of other Victron devices there are 3 options to turn the device on:

1.Short 1 and 2 trough switch

2.short H to Ground trough switch

3.Provide HV to L, where 2.9v< HV<Battery voltage. So I thought that I can pass 12v from the BP Out to the left Remote switch pin (L) and should work, but it doesn't. Is it lacking this function because it is old and what options would you recommend, having in mind that I have Smart Solar 100/20 with vacant Load outputs that could be configured, I have a spare BP60(not smart) that I can use as solid state relay, i have vacant RX and Tx pins on the smart solar which could also be configured and I have some Chinese solid state relay, which could be used for shorting the two remote switch wires, however it is triggered with +5v and would probably not handle 12v from the BP100 out, unless I place a sized resistor before it, which would lower the Voltage to 5v, but will draw some extra current.

The last option is to act against the recommendations and connect the inverter main positive lead to the output of BP100A directly. I never use more than 700w AC and I am left with around 20A reserve. I've seen such setups but with Chinese 1000w inverters and BP100A and are working seemingly well.

2 |3000