question

sven-nurber avatar image
sven-nurber asked

Victron monitoring solutions with 3rd party BMS integration ?

Hi Forum. Thanks to previous posters as it helped me to find the names of some BMS manufacturers with interesting products. Towards that end, I'm probably going to purchase the Orion BMS to use with a Victron monitoring solution that also includes Victron solar controller, inverter/charger, DC-DC converter, etc. Is this any integration possible ( out of the box or with programming ) that can utilize the CAN interface available in both Orion and Victron ? If with some programming then I would enjoy seeing any examples of something on Venus that allowed for use of CAN node not previously possible.

Thanks, Sven

BMS
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jesse avatar image Jesse commented ยท
0 Likes 0 ยท
3 Answers
nebulight avatar image
nebulight answered ยท

Curious why you ended up with Orion vs something like REC BMS. The Orion is really geared toward electronic vehicles where the REC has a lot of options for energy storage. REC works out of the box with Victron gear where Orion has CAN, but not sure if it will talk to Victron (REC has done all the hard work already). If you are going 12v then the REC-Active is the one I'd suggested. 24 or 48V they have other options as well with the REC Q/si.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sven-nurber avatar image
sven-nurber answered ยท

Thanks for the reply. Just the kind of information that I was looking for. Haven't purchased Orion yet and I've now reached out to REC.

Sven

2 |3000

arghhh40k avatar image
arghhh40k answered ยท

I went with a EMUS bms since they can monitor multiple strings in parallel. I wanted health on every cell since they are large 400AH Lifepo4 cells.

There is a specific firmware you need so it can talk to CAN to the Cerbo or other GX device. You have to have a GX device to integrate.

1 comment
2 |3000

josh-laframboise avatar image josh-laframboise commented ยท

I currently have emus G1 bms and i am trying to get the cerbo and emus to communicate ive downloaded correct firmware ive made all can speeds the same how does this work. What steps did you have to take on the victron side of things? Also how will the information appear on the touch 70 gx. Ive had emus try to assist but i still seem to not have everything communicating with each other. Any information would be appreicated.

0 Likes 0 ยท