question

gmiller avatar image
gmiller asked

VictronConnect 5.2 - no devices listed on "Local" side

At the "Device List" page i see both the "Local" and the new "VRM" tabs.

Under the VRM tab the CCGX appears alongside my system name.

When I select this, all the devices connected to the CCGX (except my MultiPlus) are displayed and can be accessed.

Under the "Local" tab the CCGX also appears.

However when I select this item, all I get is "Product - Color Control GX" and its firmware version but none of the other devices connected to it are displayed.

Is this correct? Can VictronConnect only be used to access the other devices via VRM with an internet connection? My system is in our caravan and is often out of internet range. I was hoping to use the "Local" setting for quicker access.

VictronConnect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

@GMiller If you are local you will access devices with bluetooth or use cables as before so I do not believe it is it possible on the LAN side.

7 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gmiller avatar image gmiller commented ·

Thanks ejrossouw. My MPPT solar regulators and my BMV-702 battery monitor are not "smart" versions, so not bluetoothed.

When I watched the demo video by Jono it appeared that all devices connected by BT, WiFi, LAN or USB lead would populate in the "Local" devices list (see at 1:15 in the video).

I supposed that as my 2 regulators and battery monitor are linked by cable to the CCGX that they would appear in the "Local" list via my caravan's mobile router to VictronConnect on my iPad.

Gavin

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ gmiller commented ·

"When I watched the demo video by Jono it appeared that all devices connected by BT, WiFi, LAN or USB lead would populate in the "Local" devices list (see at 1:15 in the video)."

I think that is just poorly worded.
BT - all "Smart" devices
USB - all "non-Smart" devices
Wifi/LAN - all GX devices

But you only need this if you want to change settings of the connected devices.
The live datas you can also see in the remote console of the CCGX(main screen or device list for more details).

0 Likes 0 ·
gmiller avatar image gmiller Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Thanks Matthias. Yes, the amazing CCGX itself is my "go to" device for system information - can't imagine how I survived without it now, LOL. :-)

I would only be using VictronConnect for changing settings and updating firmware in the BlueSolar regulators. Much easier than hooking up fiddly cables on the underside of the units (mine are mounted under our bed near the batteries - need a mirror to connect a cable under there, haha).

I would LOVE it if I could enable/disable the charger in my MultiPlus 12/3000/120-16 using VictronConnect rather than having to rig up a cable and launch VEConfig on my laptop each time it is needed (charger is default OFF unless needed on the odd occasion when solar is low). "Remote VEConfigure" isn't worth the hassle for that one requirement.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ gmiller commented ·

You can turn off the charger by programming the "charge current control" assistant and connecting a switch to AUX1/AUX2/T-sense.

Edit:
If everything is up to date, you should be able to switch the Multi to "inverter only" with the CCGX.
But if I understand this option correctly, the Multi will also stop using the grid.

0 Likes 0 ·
ccc.png (18.4 KiB)
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ gmiller commented ·

@GMiller

You should be able to set your Multi's charger status in the CCGX, either on it's own screen or via a LAN link. The first line when you hit on your Multi shows as 'Switch', click on it to see your options.

0 Likes 0 ·
gmiller avatar image gmiller JohnC ♦ commented ·

@JohnC, unfortunately the “Switch” tab in the CCGX menu is disabled when a Digital Multi Control is fitted (which I have). The DMC itself simply duplicates the controls on the front of the MultiPlus, i.e. “Charger Only/Off/On”. The only way I have found to disable/enable the charger is using the software via VEConfigure. Sucks.

@Matthias, thanks. I will have to reread that a few times to get my head around it! :-)

0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw gmiller commented ·

Unfortunately these things do happen and indeed your dreams were crushed. I think that technical minds seldomly think the way end users do so and also in all their exitement, they just did a quick marketing video ... Unfortunately I have not found a use for the on-off switch other than for maintenance, but as you can see from the responses, there are often more than one way to do something.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources