question

rse avatar image
rse asked

BMV 712 relay to turn off external load at preset SOC

I want to turn on a water heater when the SOC is between 85 and 100% and shut it off when it falls below the 85% value. i.e. I just want the relay to open when SOC is below 85%. Closed the rest of the time. I can make it work with 85-99% but that means when charge reaches 100 it goes open. The load is a small water heater and there is a lot of solar so even with the heater on it is not unusual to hit 100% Using a smart battery protect 65 as the relay. If can be done, what are the various setting on the BMV relay screen. The documentation is not very clear as to the behavior in various modes. Thanks

BMV Battery MonitorRelay
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Jaco Reinecke avatar image
Jaco Reinecke answered ·

Hi,

I used to use the SOC relay a lot in bygone days. The trick lies in the fact, which trips your plan, that the range is from 0-99%, and not 0-100%.

Maybe drop the SOC to say 75%, longer period to get to 99%?
Or use the Realy Minimum Closed time setting, as long as the heater needs to be one?

Just spitballing here.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron BMV battery monitors product page