question

bora avatar image
bora asked

VE.Can and VE.Bus???

I'm looking to expand the Victron equipment on my boat and keep seeing references to CAN and BUS....can anyone explain the difference between them?

I've seen CANBus talked about and as far as I understand the CAN is the "brains" and the Bus is the way that the data is shared. What is confusing me is the way that Victron has then separated and there are VE.Can to VE.Bus connections.

VE.BusVE.Can
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Hi

The VE-Bus is a Victron Propitiatory Comms system

The CanBus is a Industry Standard comms system also known as NMEA2000 Now there are within the CANBUS systems also different speeds and other settings but basically the CANBUS allows other devices to connect to the system and attach such things as your Boats MFD (latest types) you can then display the CCGX on your MFD and or things like DC Volts Amps and AC Volts 220 Power and other inverter or such systems Information

Bus basically for the average user its the same as NMEA2000

Note there is also a VE-Direct as well

You cannot connect these different types of system together ie you MUST not plug a CANBUS plug into a VE Bus Plus or a NETWORK plug

even if the plugs look the same

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

What is VE.Bus?