question

lofy avatar image
lofy asked

Orion-TR Smart 12/12 30 Charge Disconnect Question

Hi there,

i just purchsed a Orion-TR smart 12/12 30A isolated to istall it into my Van. I would like to enable low temprature charge disconnect as my lithiums could get below 5 degrees from time to time.

The manual states that i should connect it with a "Isolated remote ON/OFF cable" to the charge discconect of the VE.Bus BMS. Unfortunately i cannot find this kind of cable anywhere, could anyone point me in to the exact cable i need? Also, could this special cable be replaced with a simple wire from the VE.Bus BMS charge disconnect to the H-Pin of the Orion-TR?

As an alternative, could i also connect the VE.Bus BMS charge disconnect to the COM Port of my BMV712 and then connect the NC relay of the BMV712 to the H-Pin of the Orion-TR in order to remotely turn of the Orion-TR in case of low temperature?

best regards,

Daniel

BMV Battery MonitorLithium Batteryorion-tr smartVE.Bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

We had the same problem a few weeks ago at our test bench.

We tried both the "Inverting remote on-off cable" and the "Non inverting remote on-off cable".
One cable doesn't work at all and the other was inverted(BMS signal OK -> high -> Orion off and BMS signal failture -> low -> Orion on).

Then we connected the L-pin to the negative and the H-pin to the "charge disconnect" of the BMS and it worked well.
Connecting only the "charge disconnect" of the BMS to the H-pin doesn't work.

But this is not a official recommended solution!

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lofy avatar image lofy commented ·

Thanks, will give it a try like you suggested.

Any idea how I could test the functionality as the VE.Bus BMS currently won’t do a charge disconnect based on low temperature? Is there a way to simulate a charge disconnect event in the VE.Bus BMS?

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ lofy commented ·

Just disconnect one of the BMS wires at the BMS and then the BMS will cut off all charging/discharging.

OR

Connect to one the batteries with VictronConnect and try to change the "allowed-to-charge" setting, maybe you have to change the offset too.

0 Likes 0 ·
lofy avatar image lofy Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Great, thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
lofy avatar image lofy Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

I finally managed to do the installation. If I connect the H-pin to the VEBus BMS charge disconnect and the L-Pin to negative it seems to do an engine detection override. So the Orion seems to keep charging as long as the charge disconnect is not triggered by the bms, no matter if engine running is detected or not.

Any idea how to keep the engine on detection sequence functional while enabling remote charge disconnect via the bms?

0 Likes 0 ·
fabien-g avatar image fabien-g lofy commented ·

if Vstart and Vshutdown are set corectly it should work:
battery engine off will be around 12.5v, when engine on you should get 14.4 because the alternator feeds current, so if you choose your settings right the orion will actually know when engine is on or off...

0 Likes 0 ·