question

mike45 avatar image
mike45 asked

PV Charger stopped showing up on CCGX

Hi I have an (off grid) EasySolar 48/3000/35 Mppt 150/70 the CCGX has stopped showing PV Charger, When I have rebooted and it will appear on CCGX for about 90sec then disappears, the solar charger is still working (can see it on Bluetooth Dongle) and voltage at battery is showing so too. As the PV charger is not showing on CCGX it is not showing correct SOC either.

I have also changed ve direct ports on back of CCGX but no different.

help : )

CCGX Color ControlEasySolar All-in-One
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

Hi @Mike45 First question I always ask is, has anything changed? Firmware update? Which software versions are the devices on? Are the connections at the MPPT still fitting ok? I'd disconnect the mppt too, reboot the cgx without it then reattach and see if it picks it up.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mike45 avatar image mike45 commented ·

No firmware updates as everything has been going good until this, so will look at doing updates, connections seem good, and did reboot without Mppt it did pick it up when reconnected but only for 90sec then gone. System been running for 2years. Maybe new cable needed.

0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw mike45 commented ·

I'd be surprised as cables don't wear out especially on static systems. It could hoewever be oxidation on the connectors which can sometimes be remedied by inserting and removing the cables a couple of times. If indeed it is a cable fault and it is under 5 years old, your dealer may replace it for free if proven to be at fault.

0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw mike45 commented ·

Hi @MartinD Have you tried another cable, a CCGX reset and as a last resort a mppt reset even? (don't forget to backp/record any custom settings) Do you use 90 degree connectors on the ve.direct cable or are they bent like whene.g. installled in a housing? Highly speculative but I have my concerns with the cable when it is heavily bent and lonterm stresses may ultimately misalign the small connectors or even dislodge it. Highly unlikely being manufactured cables, but then not impossible either? Furthermore, there are so many possibilities as to what can go wrong from HW issues to corrupt memory segments etc etc. Prolonged use combined with heat, humidity and electricity may also eventually expose HW weak points. Hopefully by process of elimination you can identify, which exact component. Hopefully it is just some software going a bit rogue and is begging for a reset and upgrade.

0 Likes 0 ·
martind avatar image
martind answered ·

I also have this exact same problem on a 24/3000/70 Mppt 150/70 that we installed for an off grid client. The system has been installed and working fine for 2.5 years and then suddenly the PV Panel does not show on the CCGX display, device list show "MPPT not connected". MPPT charger is fine and is charging the battery.

A reboot of the CCGX always brings the connection to the MPPT back to life, however after 90 seconds it loses the connection again. This behaviour is repeatable with loss of connection about 90 seconds after a reboot.

There is no USB hub or VE.direct extension cables in the system and this is the original Victron-supplied VE.direct cable that has up till now been working fine. This is an EasySolar system with the VE.direct cable prewired inside the EasySolar. This is a single EasySolar system with no other devices.

I have unplugged and replugged both ends of the VE.direct cable and the problem is still there. No firmware updates have been done as this system is not internet connected. Is this a cable problem or something else? Why would there be a fault now after 2.5 years of good operation?

2 |3000

martind avatar image
martind answered ·

It turns out the CCGX was faulty. Replacing it fixed the problem

2 |3000