question

Carlo avatar image
Carlo asked

BMS -High Voltage Alarm Venus reaction to it

System:

Two Quattros - setup in SplitPhase, ACin1 has a generator, ACin2 has the grid

Four MPPT Solar controllers with a total of 56 panels

Large 1400Ah Lithium Battery managed by Batterie's internal BMS that communicates with Venus via CAN-BUS.

Venus is configure: with ESS, sell to grid,

Problem:

When the BMS send to High Voltage Alarm to the Venus, and the Venus sends me an alarm, but does not seem to be doing anything to stop charging the battery. There are six devices that can charge the battery. (2) Quattros and (4) Smart Solar Charger MPPT, they are all controlled by the Venus. How can I get the Venus to hold on charging until the alarm is off.

If the alarm is present for a long time the Batteries internal BMS will disconnect the battery from the system, I have seen strange voltages of 60V to 66V DC, in the DCbus.

Ideas?

MPPT ControllersMultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerBMSvoltagedc system
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Carlo

What brand / type of battery / bms?

did you check if it puts out 'CCL=0' when it gives 'high voltage' alarm?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Carlo avatar image
Carlo answered ·

https://ironedison.com/48-volt-lithium-battery-for-solar

The battery is an Iron Edison 1400Ah Lithium battery. It come with a REC brand BMS and yes the CCL is either 0 or 1a when I have been able to look at it when this is happening. I should have said this problem happens about once a week, not everyday.

There are several things it could be:

1. The problem could comes from the battery doing its internal equalizing of the individual cells.

2. The problem could be a momentary increase of DC voltage due having both the Quattros rectify to much AC while there is a sudden peak of solar power. I do not know why the Quattros would be rectifying when it is on AC-in2 (GRID). But when it is using AC-in1 (GENERATOR) I have seen a lot more of these alarms.

I just think that if the Venus receives a High Voltage Warning from a BMS it should suspend solar production for a few minutes. The VenusOS does not have a way to do this, nor I have found an assistant that would trigger a relay to shutoff solar production.

2 comments
2 |3000

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·

Is dvcc enabled?

0 Likes 0 ·

Probably best to check the BMS settings, CCL should go to 0 to stop charging totally.

CVL might be too high?

0 Likes 0 ·