question

valden avatar image
valden asked

With the Smart BMS CL 12V 100A, is a VE.Bus BMS still needed?

Hello everyone.

For the lithium battery system on my yacht I've been planning to use a VE.Bus BMS to manage and protect the batteries. Now that I've been made aware of the Smart BMS CL 12V 100A, which I will use to protect the diesel engine's alternator from having the life sucked out of it by four big lithium batteries, I'm wondering if the VE.Bus BMS is still needed?

The Smart BMS CL 12V 100A has the same three control outputs as the VE.Bus BMS; load-disconnect, charge-disconnect and pre-alarm. So it can handle those jobs. But it doesn't have the VE.Bus BMS' mains detect cable connector. Perhaps this function isn't needed?

Does the MultiPlus inverter/charger need the mains detection connection?

Does the Cerbo GX need the mains detection connection, via the MultiPlus?

It's looking like I can adopt the new Smart BMS CL 12V 100A, drop the VE.Bus BMS and also drop the mains detector.

Thoughts?

This Smart BMS CL 12V 100A could well be the best thing since sliced bread. :-)

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerBMSVE.Busalternator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·
6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

valden avatar image valden commented ·

Thank you for this info M. It'll be the second one, for the 3000VA version, that I need. I'll have a good read.

0 Likes 0 ·
valden avatar image valden commented ·

Hi Matthias.

I'm reading your reply again, having brought the Cerbo GX into the system. Would you agree that if I'm using the Cerbo GX and DVCC to manage the MultiPlus, I don't need to connect the Smart BMS CL 12-100 to the MultiPlus with the cables you provided links for in your answer?

(The Cerbo will also be connected to a SmartShunt that is reading battery status at the negative bus-bar)

Thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·
frankcilo avatar image frankcilo valden commented ·

i am also interested in this answer, how did you solve?

0 Likes 0 ·
lostandfoundadventures avatar image lostandfoundadventures valden commented ·
Hi Valden, I would also be interested to see your diagram how you manage to get the Smart BMS to talk to the Cerbo GX and if you ended up needing the cable mentioned by Matthias? Thanks, Jude
0 Likes 0 ·
sauberli avatar image sauberli commented ·

Pulling this up again. Trying to understand what the correct setup of a Smart BMS CL together wit a Cerbo would be? Thanks! Steffen

0 Likes 0 ·
valden avatar image valden sauberli commented ·

Hi Steffen. The Victron system on my yacht has a Smart BMS CL 12-100 as the manager for the Victron lithium batteries, along with a Cerbo as the overall manager for charging and system control. The Cerbo communicates with the MultiPlus, with the Smart Shunt and with the Smart MPPTs, but it does not communicate with the Smart BMS CL 12-100 or the batteries.

To answer your question, the ‘correct setup’ is to let the Smart BMS CL do its job of monitoring and protecting the batteries from over-discharge or over-charging, along with protecting the batteries and the alternator from each other. The job of the Cerbo is to be a communication and control hub, through interface with the shunt, MultiPlus and solar panels/MPPTs, using the GX Touch 50 screen, Bluetooth to your phone or tablet or WiFi to the internet to let you direct the whole system. Importantly, the Cerbo also provides Distributed Voltage and Current Control (DVCC), being centralised control of system performance and management; a great feature.

See these components as a system on a video about our boat’s Victron setup on the Sailing Snow Gum channel. Link below.

Regards, Rick.

https://youtu.be/jckKYwhB26Q

0 Likes 0 ·