question

lemon avatar image
lemon asked

Phoenix 12/1200 switches AC output in ECO mode without any load connected

Hi guys,

I've got a new Phoenix 12/1200 inverter here and wanted to connect all the necessary devices for my VW T5 outside the car first. Everything seems to work fine, the Phoenix outputs 230V when it is set to "ON".

But when I set it to "ECO" mode the output is switched after a few seconds and then immediately switched off again. That continues until I switch to Phonix "ON" or "OFF".

I connected the Phoenix DC input to the battery (which shows 13.4V at the moment) and the external earth is connected to the car's earth. There is no other cable connected to the Phoenix (even on the output side, there is not connected anything!) and the configuration has not been modified.

Any hints why the Phoenix is doing this and how can I fix that? I want it to activate the output when a load is hanging there.

Thank you very much!

Phoenix Inverter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @lemon

did you read the manual?

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-Phoenix-Inverter-VE.Direct-250VA-1200VA-EN-NL-FR-DE-ES-IT.pdf

what you describe is exactly what that function does...

4.2 ECO Mode

Set the front switch to ECO mode to reduce the power consumption in no-load operation.
The inverter will automatically switch off as soon as it detects that there is no load connected. It then switches on, briefly, every 2,5 seconds to detect a load. If the output power exceeds the set level, the inverter will continue to operate.

The default ECO mode wake-up minimum power is 15 Watt.
The default ECO mode search interval is 2.5 seconds

Note that the required ECO mode settings are heavily dependent on the type of load: inductive, capacitive, non-linear. Adjustment may be needed.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lemon avatar image lemon commented ·

Hi,

you're right, but I didn't think I can hear that switching, that's why I asked. So I have to set the Phoenix ON, seems it consumes about 8W in that case, can you confirm that?

Thank you again

Andreas

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @lemon

What did you have connected as a load to test the ECO-function?

2 |3000

lemon avatar image
lemon answered ·

Hi Daniël,

as I wrote: "even on the output side, there is not connected anything!"

So there is NO load connected.

In the meantime I've found out that the interval the Phoenix switches the output ON is the same that is set in the ECO configuration (3 seconds in my case). But I cannot belive that this switching ON and OFF is right because you can hear when it switches on (a low humming sound), in a camper you cannot sleep with such a repeating noise.

Anyway, the Phoenix should not switch ON every time the interval is reached, shouldn't it?

Thank you very much

Andreas

2 |3000