question

jamesk avatar image
jamesk asked

Error 67 - BMS Connection Lost on Smart Solar 150/100-Tr VE.Can

I have a Smart Solar 150/100-Tr VE.Can connected by VE.Can to a MG Energy Master LV (With 2 x 200Ah HE batteries) and a Color Control GX. There is also a Multiplus 24/3000/70-16 connected by VE.Bus on the same system.

I'm having an occasional 'Error 67 - BMS connection lost' from the Smart Solar but I have unfortunately been unable to pinpoint what exactly is causing the issue. It never happens when the solar is isolated but randomly when solar is generating. It does not automatically recover unless I clear the issue by isolating our solar panels and reconnecting. Is this a known issue with Smart Solar VE.Can variants? Details are below. Many thanks!

Details:

DVCC Enabled

Smart Solar 150/100-Tr VE.Can Firmware v̶1̶.̶0̶3̶ v1.04

MG Energy Master LV Firmware v1.22

Multiplus 24/3000/70-16 (230VAC) Firmware v469

Color Control GX Firmware v2.51

BMSsmart solar set-up helpVE.Can
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

9 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @JamesK

Is the system online on VRM? if so, can you post the VRM id?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jamesk avatar image
jamesk answered ·

@Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff)

Is there a way I can send the VRM ID to you privately; I don't want it to be shared publicly.

Many thanks!

1 comment
2 |3000

Yes you can select 'viewable by moderators'

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @JamesK

As you can see in the graphs, the BMS is indeed not visible when this error happens, when the BMS is disconnected, MPPT's etc. are supposed to stop charging.

So next step is to find out why the BMS disconnects, the first place to look for: wiring, check / replace comms cables to see if that makes a difference.

Also I would advice to update the inverter firmware.

3 comments
2 |3000

jamesk avatar image jamesk commented ·

Hi @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff),
Many thanks for your help - we have tested with different RJ45 cables and the problem still exists when running on VE.Can. We have noticed that when we switched to VE.Direct, the issue doesn't arise. We have also tested the MPPT with another system with firmware version 469 to no success.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ jamesk commented ·

Hi @JamesK

how / where did you terminate the CANbus?

0 Likes 0 ·
jamesk avatar image jamesk Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff)

I have a VE.Can terminator on the spare port of the Smart Solar and one on the CCGX. I then daisy chain RJ45 from Smart Solar to Master LV (Aux. Can side) to CCGX.

Many thanks for your assitance,

James

1 Like 1 ·

Hi @JamesK

We're working on a solution for this, a bug was found, hopefully we have a fix soon.

1 comment
2 |3000

froste9 avatar image froste9 commented ·
has this bug been fixed, i just had this same thing happen this morning.
0 Likes 0 ·
justin-selleck avatar image
justin-selleck answered ·

I am having the same issue. A BMS is attached to the BMS Can side on a cerbo GX.

Product
Generic Can-bus BMS battery (batrium)

Firmware version v4.7

Last connection 10 minutes ago

Product
SmartSolar MPPT VE.Can 150/100 rev2

Firmware version v3.05

Last connection 8 minutes ago

Serial number

VRM instance 1

Product
Cerbo GX

Firmware version v2.66

Remote on LAN

Firmware updates Automatically checks for updates to official release

Last connection 7 minutes ago

Logging interval 15 minutes

Last power up or restart 2021-06-10 13:17

When I remove PV power the error goes away. When adding back it shows a quick charge ~1600w then goes to float. After several minutes it then goes back to the error 67 state.

1 comment
2 |3000

froste9 avatar image froste9 commented ·
have you found a solution to your problem? i'm having the same issue and i also have a batrium bms
0 Likes 0 ·
Martin Coetzee avatar image
Martin Coetzee answered ·

i am also having the same on 2 sites. checked everything. looses connection for a few seconds then fine again.

2 |3000

Paul avatar image
Paul answered ·

Same issue here with MP2 5000/48, Smartsolar 250/100 and a "dumn" LiFePO4 51V battery with it's own stubbern (and regretfully paid support including) Babatrium BMS.

Every now and then, I see this message with a beep and after resetting the beeper and waiting some time, the error message disappears.

Since I am thinking about upgrading ith two MP5000/48's and two SmartSolar 250/100's, in combination with the ESS assistant for feeding in the abundant PV power, I am not sure if going the DC to AC way is the best choice here.

Might go for the Victron as a smart battery and leave the power crunching by a Fronius 8.2 on the inverting output of the Victron.

One might lose some efficiëncy bat overall, if the Victron fails, the Fronius will still generate power and feed it back to the grid, allbeit without backup facility.

Question here: can somebody of the Victrn staff help me out here?

I am going to pull the plunge quit soon.

2 |3000

Martin Coetzee avatar image
Martin Coetzee answered ·

I am still having this issue on some sites has it been resolved ?

2 |3000

h8mecz avatar image
h8mecz answered ·

I still have this issue - it happens randomly during the running the system - once 1 hour from start the system, once 3 hours... :( Really annoying. So I have turned it off :(

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron VE.Bus BMS product page

Victron 3rd party BMS compatibility page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic