question

whitewhale avatar image
whitewhale asked

MPPT 150/85 shows voltage but doesn't see current / wattage and doesn't charge

I need some advice. I have a MPPT 150/85 MC4 unit. I recently set this up and I have three banks of 4 panels in series (100w / ~18V panels). The charge controller is brand new out of the box (albeit in storage a few months) only opened a few days ago. All functions seem to work on the controller itself.

I've done my due diligence with the wiring, polarity, and confirmed each bank of panels has the expected voltage. Here's the report and I can produce the settings file for anyone if that's useful. VictronConnet_report.log

It's 9am on a sunny Saturday here in Arizona. I'm seeing 73-90 volts and no current or wattage. The batteries are calling for a charge (12VDC, bank of 4 - 6 V flooded batteries wired in series parallel). I've even reset my settings to default and even reset the unit (disconnecting all input, using battery disconnect switch I installed in the battery bay).

Did I miss something? The panels work. The CC works. The batteries are new and working to produce power for the 12V system with no issues. I've scoured the manuals to see if I missed a step but I don't see anything that I missed.

Did I get a dud? If so, how do I get support from Victron?

battery chargingvictronamps
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
whitewhale avatar image
whitewhale answered ·

Update: For the sake of argument and a sanity check, I killed all the input, removed all the cabling from the unit and reconnected it in order (following the manual as I have before). NOTE THAT: I removed everything from the unit including the shoe connectors for the TX and Remote port, and I let the unit sit for awhile de-energized.

Once I completed the reconnection of each of the items, shoe connectors, 12V Batt cable, MC4 inputs... the unit started producing power. Something was fishy in the settings perhaps? Something was fishy in the connections perhaps?

I'm not sure which issue it was, but the problem is resolved. I'm producing power in semi-cloudy skies now.

fixed.jpg (60.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

Charger State = Off.

Please confirm that the charger is enabled in settings.

Also check that the jumper is in the remote port.

charge-enable.jpg (52.4 KiB)
6 comments
2 |3000

whitewhale avatar image whitewhale commented ·

It's on. It shows on anyway.

0 Likes 0 ·

I am checking the jumper now

0 Likes 0 ·
whitewhale avatar image whitewhale whitewhale commented ·

The jumper is installed. I removed it and re-seated it for good measure to make sure it was making a connection.

Still not seeing any current or wattage.

0 Likes 0 ·
whitewhale avatar image whitewhale whitewhale commented ·

@klim8skeptic Sorry, I failed to respond directly to you. So I'm tagging you in case you won't see it otherwise?

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ whitewhale commented ·

Also double check the fuse/breaker between the mppt and battery.

0 Likes 0 ·
whitewhale avatar image whitewhale klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

I have only a shutoff switch wired in at this time and it's in the on position. I'm seeing voltage all the way through the wire to the controller. Excluding the switch, it's a direct link to the battery bank, brand new wire. I have confirmed the switch is working.

0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

@whitewhale What version of firmware is it running?

3 comments
2 |3000

Charge Controller is 1.46 and 2.23 BT Firmware "latest" designation on both.

However I seemed to resolve my issue with a full disconnect / reconnect. thanks for your response anyway!

0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw whitewhale commented ·

That is good to hear. The sequence of connecting and starting up equipment is important and it could have been something as simple as that.

0 Likes 0 ·
Adam Hanafi avatar image Adam Hanafi ejrossouw commented ·
Can you elaborate on the sequence ? I had the same issue today and my SCC ended up going up in smoke
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic