question

olli avatar image
olli asked

Smart Blue Power IP22 Charger: Connecting batteries and charging

Dear All,

I have a Smart Blue Power IP22 Charger 24v/16amp for my boat engine. I need to charge a 24v system consisting of two AMG 12 batteries (vestus marine batteries). The batteries were delivered with a voltage of each 14.2 volt and the system showed me (using a multi-meter) 28.x volt. It is my second pair of batteries having just lost the first once (chronically discharged).

Now, as I have used the new battery a bit, it shows me 24.6 volt, meassured with the multi-meter. When I connect the Smart Blue Power IP22 charger and look into the App, it says 28.x volt, but 0.0 amp., So, I'm afraid I have connected the chrarger wrongly or that it is broken (?).

Unfortunatly, the guideance in the manual is not sufficient for me as it only shows the side of the charger, not the batteries. As I was unsure whether I have connected the system in the right way, I changed the connectons, but the system still showed the same values. I would have expected that it would show me an error if I connect them in the wrong way (?).

Through this questions may not be difficult for most of you, I'd be glad to understand whether we should already see amps flowing, or should this only happen when the batteries has reached a discharge below 24v? Can I find better information on how to connect the system and is the above written (connection in different order does not change anything) an indication that the system is defect?

Thank you very much!

Olli

battery chargingwiringamps
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @Olli, if you see a high voltage; but no amps, it means your battery is full. (Measure on batt terminals, not behind a possible switch ot broken fuse) Thats the core definition of battery charging. No need to worry about a broken charger.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tdcgoofy avatar image tdcgoofy commented ·

See my comment above.

0 Likes 0 ·
tdcgoofy avatar image
tdcgoofy answered ·

I have the same problem with the same type of charger. I know that my batteries are not fully charged, but still the charger only shows the voltage to the batteries and zero amps in charging current.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron Wiring Unlimited Book

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic