question

PeterM avatar image
PeterM asked

Operating Multiplus with Lithium on Canbus

I'm in the process of changing my Lead Batteries to Lithium ( SolarMD ) on my Multiplus ( includes venus GX ) setup. The system is only used for backup and not part of an ESS system. Batteries will only be charged by grid. The questions I have is 1. Can you limit the charge current as you can with lead batteries in the charger section of the Veconfig application? - my understanding is than the Canbus just sets the Max charge/ Max Discharge currents 2. Can you limit charge to a SOC value - eg 90% to maximise battery life

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerLithium BatteryVenus GX - VGX
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

You can set the charge limits in VE Config, but usually the battery's own BMS dictates what it wants from the charging. If you load ESS you can set a charging schedule of mains and limit it to to the percentage you want to take it up to. See....

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:design-installation-manual#gx_device_-_ess_settings

4.4.2 Configuration

4.4.3 Stop charge on SOC

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
PeterM avatar image
PeterM answered ·

Thanks, to run ESS is it compulsory to have at least one grid inverter ( if your PV power is only generated via a PV inverter ) connected to AC out ?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.