question

frangar avatar image
frangar asked

Can I use a FTDI chipset RS232-USB interface with a MK2b interface

Hi All

Ive got a Mk2b interface which was working fine but now I have upgraded to Win 10 the victron supplied USB - RS232 interface won't work. Im looking at using an adaptor with an FTDI chip set rather than a PL one but wanted to ask if anyone knows if this works with the Victron MK2b as I was told when I got it that it could be fussy about USB interfaces.

Alternatively if I got a MK3 USB victron interface would this work with a Phoenix Charger that has a 1400120 software version? I would like to run Victron Connect on a Mac

Many Thanks

VictronConnect
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

I have a MK2b which I usually use with a Prolific USB - Serial device on Windows XP. AFAIK, Prolific did not release a driver for XP which blocks their own genuine (older) chipsets.
I also have a FTDI USB - Serial device which I can test with the MK2b. I'll do this tomorrow.

I'm usure if the MK3 works with firmware devices as old as 14xxyyy. I don't have such a device, so maybe someone else can answer that one.

0 Likes 0 ·
frangar avatar image frangar commented ·

Thanks for that...my existing set up works fine on an elderly XP machine too but not the Win 10 machine...and from a google it’s probably the Prolific chipset that’s incompatible. It seems the FTDI chipset gets generally better reviews. I’d be very grateful if you could test it.

I’m not sure that the MK3 will work with 14xxxxx firmware either! I’ve read conflicting advice.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Hello @Frangar

I have setup my FTDI interface as below. This is on Windows 10 Pro, version 1903.
That board is simply a USB hub with four FTDI serial ports:

USB tree shows FTDI device COM7 like so:

VE.Configure software, latest version (not good for you, see note below). It connects to my 18xxyyy MultiPlus on COM7:

Note: For 14xxyyy devices you need older software.
Go here: https://www.victronenergy.com/support-and-downloads/software
Scroll down until you see "Software for old devices" and get that version of VE.Configure.

setupresized.jpg (287.5 KiB)
usb-treeresized.jpg (51.0 KiB)
1582284364288.png (34.1 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

frangar avatar image frangar commented ·

@WKirby Thats brilliant!! Many thanks....Ill get one ordered then when its all up and running I will report back.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources