question

moonhead911 avatar image
moonhead911 asked

How to connect Orion-Tr Smart 12/12 30a in parallel

Hi. I have one victron orion-tr 12/12 30a in my van and I'd like to install another to give me 60amps,total charging. Can anyone advice my how I'd need to wire the 2 units many thanks

battery chargingorion-tr smart
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@Moonhead911, may I presume that you're referring to the Orion-Tr Smart rather than the Orion-Tr?

...with such a similar naming convention for a very different product, it's important to be very careful of getting the name right both when ordering as well as when making technical support inquiries!

You should wire the two units exactly as you would any other charge source: POS and NEG from the start battery (POS fused, of course), POS and NEG to the aux battery (again, POS fused, of course).

If you're not connecting straight to the battery(s) then you may of course connect to POS and NEG busbars, so long as you use appropriate cable gauges and fuses for all connections. The Orion-Tr Smart will accept 6AWG (16mm2) wire at both its input as well as its output terminals. For appropriate wiring connections in general, in various configurations, I recommend that you download and thoroughly read and understand the free Wiring Unlimited book that Victron has made available.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

safiery avatar image
safiery answered ·

@Moonhead911 We have installed the Orion Smart 12 30/30 in pairs several times. We do install a "hot wire" from the ignition and manually turn both units on. Doing this is simple. If you cant do this, then tuning the voltage based engine running "sense" is challenging as the voltage drops when one is starting up just a fraction before the other and lockout on the second unit may occur. Having exactly the same cable length and size from the alternator is essential. The load side is less important perhaps.

Bruce

3 comments
2 |3000

cpurchas avatar image cpurchas commented ·

@safiery can you please provide some details on how to use the "hotwire" ignition option? The manual is pretty confusing on this point, do I remove the bridge and which port exactly do I attach the live ignition wire? I do not want to use the auto voltage sense feature but rather have the unit come on and off with the ignition. Thank you !

0 Likes 0 ·
mateoing avatar image mateoing cpurchas commented ·
@cpurchas did you end up finding out a solution for the manual turning on? Please share if so :)
0 Likes 0 ·
bathnm avatar image bathnm cpurchas commented ·
The manual does give the details. You take the jumper/bridge out of the connector and wire a link from the ignition, which will be positive, into the high side of the connector. When the unit senses voltage in the high terminal it will switch in.
0 Likes 0 ·
moonhead911 avatar image
moonhead911 answered ·

Yes the new smart DC to DC charger. I all ready have one unit wired up and installed. I just wanted some information on wiring them in parallel

2 |3000

jeepcamper avatar image
jeepcamper answered ·

I would also like information about wiring them in parallel. It would seem that this information isn’t available on the Internet.

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
@JeepCamper

It's in @Justin Cook - Bay Marine Supply USA reply above. Make sure cables are sized for the current.

0 Likes 0 ·