question

johnsosn avatar image
johnsosn asked

solar charge controller advice

I am fitting 2 strings of 4 panels. One string will be in the sun more than the other. the strings will both feed the same battery.

Should I use 2 solar charge controllers because the strings will be producing different amounts of power, or will the MPPT in 1 controller cope with this?

charge controller compatibility
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
markus avatar image
markus answered ·

You can use one controller, this is OK. When there is a big difference in sunlight between the two strings, there are some losses. If you think about, adding efficiency with a second controller, I would think of adding more panels instead.

Adding more panels surely depends on, if the ratings of the single charger allows this.

Regards,

Markus

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

johnsosn avatar image
johnsosn answered ·

Thank you Marcus, that makes sense. I just wasn't sure if the MPPT would cope ok.

Appreciate your thoughts.

2 |3000

esteban avatar image
esteban answered ·

I believe that you will lose the efficiency advantage of having MPPT (vs PWM) if your controller is working with all four and they are different panels in different exposures.

If I wanted to optimize charging, I'd consider a second controller.

Should do the job with just one controller though.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic