question

lief ryan avatar image

Wind Turbines and victron charge controllers

hi, i would like to know if victron mppt charge controllers support wind turbines? if yes could i run 2 controllers in parallel, one with solar and one with a wind turbine?

Thanks

Lief.

charge controller compatibilityHydro and Wind Power
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

10 Answers
Markus avatar image

Hello Lief,

no, it is only officially supported, to connect solar panels to the MPPT's.

That does not mean that it wouldn't unofficially work, when you know what you are doing. :o)

I do use Victron Solar chargers with hydro turbines for over a year now, without any issues at all.

The main problem is see in connecting a wind turbine, is a missing storm brake that short circuits the generator to brake in stronger winds and the battery is full etc...

You would have to implement something, but be careful, to short circuit PV input under load can destroy your charger.

And yes, it is possible to connect several MPPT chargers in parallel to the battery.

Regards,

Markus

1 comment Share

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Just to clearify, i did never ever kill a Victron MPPT, I just saw what happened with a friends charger, after he drilled through both PV wires... There were bubbles appearing on the surface of the charger. Not nice :o(

Dod42 avatar image

I have a D400 and have played around with a 100/50 mppt instead and together with the standard TB6 thank comes supplied. Sort answer, not real successful. With just the 100/50 yes it transfers power but due to the way the mppt works the D400 acts like it is not connected to a load, so it spins faster than normal making more noise and eventually does a 360 like it does if not connected. It also didn’t produce any more power than the TB6 which is a PWM controller with dump load. The TB6 is very rudimentary and has no real settings nor monitoring. What I really wanted was the blue tooth monitoring the 100/50 offered. I even tried installing the 100/50 after the TB6 but this also fails as the TB6 doesn’t see the battery voltage out the solar input on the 100/50 so yes the 100/50 sees a voltage at the input from the TB6 but all the current is diverted to the dump load, nothing to the batteries. So far I’m yet to find anything that works better than the supplied TB6 as it seems to control the load to the D400 to keep it spinning at the optimal speed which also means less noise. I think what I need now is Hall field sensor that I can put on either of the output lines of the TB6 that also takes a Bluetooth dongle that just allows the monitoring. I guess I could use something like a BMV but that would be an overkill

John Rushworth avatar image

lief ryan avatar image

sorry i should have explained my situation a bit better, i've got 5.4kw of solar which will be way more than i need in the summer but will probably be a bit less than i need in the winter, thats why i want the wind turbine to supplement it in the winter months, i've got 10Kwh of pylontech batteries, they should charge pretty quick from the solar in the summer so i'll have excess power to dump, i want to use it for hot water in the summer cause my hot water and heating are from a wood stove and i won't want to light it in the summer,

another option is (like you said) to have the wind turbine running a grid tied inverter ac coupled to the multiplus, but then i would still be left with the problem of using the excess solar in the summer which is why i was thinking of just having the multiplus turning the water heater on and off at set voltages

Thanks for you help, its much appreciated.

Markus avatar image

Valuable Power wouldn't be "wasted" in the solution mentioned above, but maybe not used 100% efficient. This is also to be considered in a very small wind solution only. As long as the battery is getting charged and you consume power, you can choose not to "lock" the turbine and no dump load is used at all, maybe an additional "lock relay" circuit, triggered by some other wind measurement device would be good to have...

If your set up would involve a dump load, it might work to use a PV inverter, to dump into some useful AC Load. But this is for sure hypothetical. It would for sure be more reliable, to use a DC resistor dumpload.

No problem, as long as every charger is set up with reasonable values.

lief ryan avatar image

i was just thinking of not wasting valuable power, i could use a wind specific charge controller with a built in dump load, but the house is too far away from the power shed to use dc but maybe a cheap inverter connected to the dump out from controller?

i don't actually have anything setup yet so this is still hypothetical..

do you know if there would be an issue with have one victron charge controller and one midnite clasic? the other equipment will be victron multiplus, victron ccgx, victron mppt, pylontech batteries.

Markus avatar image

I would not prefer to do so.

This actually prevents the batteries from being fully charged.

In stormy conditions, this might not be enough resistance and your turbine + MPPT could get destroyed.

I would go this way:

Use 2 rectifiers, one connected to the MPPT and one connected to be shorted by a strong relay and a paralleled switch.

You could then use the relay output of the MPPT or better a BMV, to toggle the relay and short circuit the turbine. Additionally you have a switch, to override.

The 2 rectifiers should prevent the MPPT from being short circuited on PV side.

Might work, may be worth a test ;o)

1 comment Share

To stall the turbine, you can use a DPDT (double pole, double throw) switch or relay.

On the attached image, you connect the turbine on A1 and A2, the battery or charger on C1 and C2. And put a short between B1 and B2.

dpdt-relay.gif (9.8 KiB)
lief ryan avatar image

i was thinking of using the multiplus to turn on an immersion heater when the batteries reach 100% soc and off again at 95%, could that help avoid the need for a turbine brake? ie just keeping the turbine under load all the time?

@Markus

Markus avatar image

I found something really simple and useful. Matching what I was talking about:

https://www.altestore.com/store/wind-turbines/primus-windpower-turbines-parts/accessories-for-air-x-air-breeze/primus-windpower-wind-control-panel-24v-p11450/

I think this device should be easy to rebuild and optimized for use with MPPTs (short circuit problem).

Amperemeter is rather unnecessary, if you use a Victron MPPT.

As I have actually finished my Hydro Power Installation, I am searching for new challenges.

I will deep dive into some wind applications with Victron MPPTs and bring up a solution and keep the community updated.

Markus

5 comments Share

Hi Markus,

I'm also building a wind turbine and I'm now looking for a MPPT controller. Victron is in my opinion one of the best suppliers. I would like to make a grid tie solution and I'm wondering if there is a solution for it?

Is it possible to connect the battery connection on the charge controller to a grid tie inverter?

Regards Sander

Hi @Lange1975,

I recently tested a wind turbine in combination with a Victron MPPT charger.

Unfortunately it does not work good with a (solar) MPPT charger alone. You would need some overspin protection. The MPPT charger is searching for a max power point and wants the Voltage to be as high as possible, which leads to overspin of the turbine when there is good wind.

You would need an additional Voltage limiting device, which limits the turbine speed.

Additionally, if the wind turbines generator output Voltage is too high and not matched to systems battery Voltage, the MPPT could stall the turbine when there is more power demand as the turbine could deliver at that moment.

Conclusion: connecting a wind turbine to a solar MPPT does not work without an additional (limiting) device, lets call it a turbine controller...

Regards,

Markus

Hello @Markus,

I'm building my own turbine with an PMA based on a F&P smartdrive motor. This motor produces per revolution about 0.608V.

Will this than also give the overspin problem as you described? Or is there still a limiting device/controller required as in the picture?

And is it also possible to use the charge controller and instead of hooking up batteries connect it to a grid tie invertor?

Regards,

Sander

1571935851087.png (196.4 KiB)
Espen avatar image Espen Markus ♦♦ ·

On a off grid system, I’ve been running a small 48V/300W (85W@8m/s) wind turbine on a Victron MPPT for a time now.

My experience is that the MPPT only let the turbine spin up when its does the recalculation, and then takes it down again. This gives a short peek that can be up to 140V(See attached image.) But I’ve never seen that it tries to keep the highest voltage possible, that would result in uncontrolled spin.

Important when using a MPPT regulator on a wind turbine:

-The wild DC from the turbine most not exceed the max input voltage of the MPPT regulator. When the regulator from time to time does the recalculation MPP sweep, the regulator reduce the load and the turbine can for a very short time spin up to max. (My 48V turbine can at this stage give up to 140V DC)

-The MPPT regulator can only be in the two stages off (no wind) and bulk (wind). (In absorption/float the turbine will spin up uncontrolled and cause damage.)

One solution to this, which I’m using, is to use a dump/diversion load on the batteries. To always keep the MPPT in bulk, the MPPT regulator absorption voltage needs to be set higher than the voltage that the diversion load regulator starts the dumping/regulating on.

I’m using a Tristar TS-45 in “diversion mode”, that for a 48V system has a maximum power rating of 2700W@60V.

The regulator and the size of the load needs to be able to handle the power of both the turbine and solar panels.

I also have two big capacitors on the input on the MPPT regulator, to smoot out ripple from the turbine.

Just a +1 that I am following all threads like this with great interest. We are looking for a way to use a Victron regulator for wind with synched charge voltage as well as excess voltage for the GX unit to an AC Thor, among other things.
So would also be grateful for any hints of products available for this.

Many thanks

lief ryan avatar image

hi, thanks for your reply, i'm starting with solar for now and i'll see about adding wind later on.