question

pyro avatar image
pyro asked

Cerbo GX Current Consumption

Hi, I am looking for current consumption of Cerbo GX @ 12VDC. For comparison, the Venus GX is listed at 210mA at 12VDC in the manual. Cerbo does not list any power consumption in the manual.

I would like to install on a boat mainly to link my MPPT via Wifi to the VRM website, but am concerned that the current consumption will drain batteries too much. I will be using 2x 50W panels, but would like them to primarily charge the batteries.

cerbo gxdc system
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gs-nz avatar image gs-nz commented ·

Hello. I would also like a know what the current consumption of Cerbo GX is. It's pretty basic info especially with this kind of gear. I'm trying to decide whether to go with Venus GX or Cerbo GX for my new installation.

0 Likes 0 ·
nate-costello avatar image nate-costello commented ·

I'm also interested (when powered by 24V).

0 Likes 0 ·
12 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

I can check this on Monday, but I think it is not much more then the Venus GX(without the touch 50 of curse).

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pyro avatar image
pyro answered ·

Just a reminder, can you check current? Preferably with wifi on, wired ethernet off.

1 comment
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Sorry I doesn't had the time yesterday and today I'm also full of work.
I hope I have some time tomorrow.

0 Likes 0 ·
pers1 avatar image
pers1 answered ·

3,86W with Touch 50 with screen turned off but hooked up

1 comment
2 |3000

gs-nz avatar image gs-nz commented ·

Thank you! That's hugely appreciated. Is that with ethernet or wifi on, or both?

0 Likes 0 ·
48v-on-56north avatar image
48v-on-56north answered ·

Hi, Live Cerbo GX plus generic (Huawei) 4G Wifi powered of 12V DC Orion, standby total 19-24W Not optimised as local WiFi is left on. MK,

screenshot-2021-02-09-at-180543.png

2 |3000

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

The range is typically between 2.5W and 5W - with a few more details in point 19 here - https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:start

It can be difficult to get a certain maximum - for example connecting additional USB accessories will draw more, as will more processing if there are many VE.direct devices, and if there is a GX touch screen connected how bright it is set.

But generally - Cerbo GX power draw without GX Touch mounted: around 2.8W. With GX Touch 50 connected, and backlight off: 3.8W. Backlight at max intensity: 4.8W

2 |3000

trulsla avatar image
trulsla answered ·

caf01399-b473-4501-ada7-6c372e3a5977.jpegIn line with the others above. Mine is drawing 0.4-0.5A (5-7W) with Cerbo GX, Touch 50 GX backlight off and a Glomex 4G/WIFI antenna.

2 |3000

stourel avatar image
stourel answered ·

cerbo-gx-160522.jpgHi everybody,

I have a Cerbo GX, together with a Quattro Multiplus 12V/5000, a BMV712 and a MPPT Solar from Victron.

I have been wondering about the power consumption of the Cerbo, which you can see on the picture is in the range of 70w to 130w. It is quite far away form the 20w mentioned here and I wondering what is going on.

I also noticed that the Ah deducted by the BMV 712 is higher that the real Ah consumed. for example, overnight the % of the batterie decrease from 100 to 90% and the following day, the battery charge to 95% reaching floating. The BMV noticed that the battery are full and reajust the SOC to 100%.

The problem is if I am not reaching the required voltage corresponding to 100%, the SOC reduce too much from about 5% everyday. for example 1 week ago, my battery voltage was 12,8V under 250w consumption but the SOC was 60%. This can not be right.

Can somebody help me? I hope it is quite understandable.

Thank you.

Best

Syl

cerbo-gx-160522.jpg (41.4 KiB)
2 |3000

stourel avatar image
stourel answered ·

one more precision: Cerbo is the only 12V device connected to the battery.

2 |3000

jandersb avatar image
jandersb answered ·

I am slightly confused by the different reports for current consumption. I also tested yesterday. With a Multiplus (no inverter on), 2 mttp's stand by, 1 temp sensor, bluetooth and wifi on, touch 50 display and a bmv712, draw was 22w according to bmv712, regardless of display on or not. Pretty high.

2 |3000

chris-bkw avatar image
chris-bkw answered ·

If it helps:

Raspi4 with Venus OS, RJ45, 2 USB Ports for MPPT100/20 with bluetooth on and Smart Shunt with bluetooth on @ 12V System, no bluetooth on rpi on and no wifi. login. Intervall 1min to vrm.

Energy Consumption is 4 W, 0,33A@12,5V

1 comment
2 |3000

jandersb avatar image jandersb commented ·
Nice to know, but does not help. And once again, how can reported values differ this much?
0 Likes 0 ·
over-and-under-victron avatar image
over-and-under-victron answered ·

Measured with a BMV712

100/20, 100/50, Cerbo, 2 120A BMSs, and the lights on the Lynx I am seeing 300 to 400mA.

I honestly don't think the BMV is very sensitive at low low current. It can't see my super small fall that is on the composting toilet.

1 comment
2 |3000

jandersb avatar image jandersb commented ·

It is pretty clear in my case. Everything stable, no solar. Current consumption for a long time 20w. Cerbo has been off (via switch) for several weeks to save energy. Switched on. Initially 30-35 w higher consumption in start up and stabilizing on 22w higher than no Cerbo. Can be repeated. Screen is switched on at start up automatically. Later, with screen black, I touched it and it lit up. No effect on current consumption.

So it is no doubt that the cerbo cx on is consuming appr 22w. Thouch screen connected to 12v via a normal USB car power socket adapter.

0 Likes 0 ·
jandersb avatar image
jandersb answered ·

Hm, tried to repeat the test once more. First cut power to black display. Less 1w. Then switched off Cerbo. No change. Then switched on cerbo (and display). First +5w in consumption, then 3w.

Hm, very confusing.

2 |3000

Related Resources