question

tobi17 avatar image
tobi17 asked

VENUS GX receive data from external RS232 interface

Hello,

can somebody report back if it is possible to read/receive signals from an external RS232 interface? I do not need any further communication, no interaction, just receiving the data stream of a external RS232 interface (from my BMS). I can code/handle this all myself within the venus once I am able to retrieve any data.

I have looking the past few days and it seems all solutions handling the communication from a MPPT/BMV to a serial RS232 interface. I want the reverse handling, retrieve within the Venus GX a RS232 data stream.

Can I use the "usb to rs232" victron cable on the Venus GX? By now, I would do think using the VE.direct from Venus GX to the SR232 would not be working. My problem is that the BMS does only offer the GND/TX pin and nothing more. What about powering? I would think I would need a non-isolated cable?

Any feedback/input would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Bye Tobi

BMV Battery MonitorVictronConnectVenus GX - VGXVE.Direct
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi Toby, see https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki.

You’ll have to use some generic rs232 to usb cable. I dont know if ours will work; its not what that was designed for a long time ago-thats for sure.

On that wiki, make sure to read the howtos and search for serial starter.

ps I moved your post to the modifications space. Success!

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tobi17 avatar image tobi17 commented ·

Thank you for your reply! The webpages helps a lot and now my own venus driver for the Chargery BMS is working:

Thank you and I am looking to share all my sources on github!

Small Addition: I have used a FTDI Adapter FT232RL USB!

0 Likes 0 ·
showcase2a.png (203.1 KiB)
showcase2b.png (214.3 KiB)
showcase2c.png (176.7 KiB)
nebulight avatar image nebulight tobi17 commented ·

wow, that's a lot of data!

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ tobi17 commented ·

Nice work!

0 Likes 0 ·
gnagflow avatar image gnagflow tobi17 commented ·

Hey Tobi, I am fascinated. I also use the Venus GX (with Multiplus) and Chargery. I found your information on github. Could you give only just a few hints how to install the driver and the rest.

Do i have to put the .py driver onto cronetabs?
Where and what do i have to do with the qml files?

thank you realy a lot!

kind regards,

Wolfgang

0 Likes 0 ·
tobi17 avatar image tobi17 gnagflow commented ·

Hello Wolfgang, I just replied to your github issue and hopefully you are now be able to add the Chargery BMS to your victron enviromnent.

0 Likes 0 ·
tobi17 avatar image
tobi17 answered ·

Hello,

the source code - unfortunately with very rare docs - are available at https://github.com/Tobi177/venus-chargerybms Maybe, this helps someone to build other drivers as well!

Bye

Tobi

2 |3000

fantail avatar image
fantail answered ·

Hi

The GX OS is based on linux

any basic USB device will work - I have no problems using Detech USB to RS232 and RS485 ports in regards the OS.

Depending on whether the device data is recognized, you may need to deal with the following.

I have had issues with the way Victron continually polls the USB hardware! which in my opinion is poor, but this can be partially disabled depending on the hardware you are adding.

I wrote my our bridging tasks .

2 |3000

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Hi @Tobi17 , Just need some setup help with your chargery software I have it installed and its working but not all the screens have installed on the CCGX running FW2.72

also is it possible to run 2 x Chargery BMS units on the one CCGX using 2 x USB ports and how would the GUI display work, I can understand that the Device displays would would. and I am aware that the RS232 interface would need different serial numbers. If you could help out please let me know I can also give you VRM access to the site if thats of help , please email me at service@octopusasia.com and ill send you a VRM invite for that site. happy to pay for your time t help out here.

These are missing plus I only have this screen on the CCGX GUI

1628761813290.pngThis screen is missing

1628761813290.png (35.5 KiB)
2 |3000

Related Resources

Venus GX manual

Venus GX product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VictronConnect Manual

Download for iOS / Android / Mac / Windows

VE.Direct protocol FAQ