question

hyfy avatar image
hyfy asked

VictronConnect won't connect to BMV on Android or Windows via VE.Direct to USB cable

Hello

I have a BVM-700 fitted to my motorhome and on re-powering after a low-voltage cut-out, I noticed that the "SOC" was reading 100% when it obviously wasn't.

I sought advice and it was suggested that I needed to update the firmware which is presently 3.07. I purchased the VE.Direct to USB cable and downloaded Victron Connect onto an Android (7.1.1) platform. VictronConnect started but will not detect the BVM-700. I have waggled leads and connectors but no detection.

I then downloaded the software to a Windows Laptop. On that all I get is a blank black edged window with no content or detection. I spotted the drivers on the download page and tried them but without any luck.

Any suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong? I have checked both manuals without finding the answer so far.

If I get the Android working, I understand that the firmware is not incorporated in that version of Victron Connect, from where do I obtain it?

On the plus side the BVM-700 now seems to be behaving itself, i.e. giving credible readings but as I have invested in the lead and a load of time I though to pursue the update.

BMV Battery MonitorVictronConnect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @HyFy,

I have explained a little about how the BMV 100% reset behaviour works in this answer here.

Can you please tell me where you saw that the Android version does not include firmware updates? That is not correct, the Android version DOES include the firmware updates. I would like to correct the source of that misinformation.

The black screen issue in Windows is a known bug, but a rare one, seems to be some graphic driver interaction issue. The work around at the moment is to use this version which is not affected. That version is older though, and does not include the latest firmware, so you will need to create an account an installer account at Victron Professional and download the latest firmware for your BMV model there.

I am not sure why your android version isn't working. Are you using a known good OTG cable that has been tested in other applications with that device? What is your android device? Can you try another one? Perhaps take a photo of the whole setup and post it here and I might be able to see something else.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

hyfy avatar image
hyfy answered ·

Thank you @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

You have given me a lot of answers and some questions!!

I will read the references you give me and also find the place where I read that the phone version of android does not include the Firmware. I am using an adaptor from USB to Micro not an OTG cable which I would have to source elsewhere and I'm slightly short of time. But if you think that that is the problem I will have to try to find one online and accept the delay. Where I live we don't have computer cable shops!! But I know the adaptor works elsewhere.

I will get on to some of the other stuff and get back to you tomorrow.

Thanks

HyFy

2 |3000

hyfy avatar image
hyfy answered ·

Hello again @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

I have had a chance to look at someof the points you made:

1) I reviewed your piece about re-setting to 100%. I suspect that it's giving a reasonable reading at the moment. When all else is done I will look at "synchronisation".

1a) The original Android device is on the Victron list and is a Sony Xperia Z5 Model E6633

2) I found an OTG cable which I checked out on a Raspberry Pi and it works just fine on the Pi. It doesn't however improve the results from the monitor!

3) I have tried two other Android platforms (both are older Androids but I used the old software). I can download the software but when connected to the Direct USB lead it does not detect the monitor.

3A) I have a newer Android but the connector is USB B and I have no Male to Male USB connection. I guess I could wire one up but...

4) The issue that I was getting with the laptop on Windows was a blank window not a black window. It's a blank white window with a black border and VictronConnect as the banner but nothing else and no reaction to anything. I suspect the laptop. I would attach a picture but I daren't leave this screen as I lose what I have typed if I do so! Maybe I can send it later.

5) I have tried an old Windows 7 Note Book. I can install the software but again it won't detect the monitor. Plugging in the USB makes the right noises. The machine "told me" that there had been a problem installing the drivers.

I start to consider the position that there is something wring with the BMV700 or with the cable. Can I test either in some way? Could the low voltage reset have corrupted something?

I will look for the mention of Firmware not being on the phone software when I get another "chance" and let you know.

Thanks again for your help.

HyFy

2 |3000

hyfy avatar image
hyfy answered ·

Hello again @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

I have, at last, had some partial success!! The ancient Samsung Notebook running on Windows 7 did the job in the end. I connected it up but again got no contact withthe monitor. I spotted some drivers on the Victron site and installed them. When I re-started the notebook I got the same result as before. But I then tried installing the drivers whilst the VictronConnect was running. That seemed to be the answer. It "found" the BVM700 and installed the Firmware update. I then synchronised the State of Charge and zero'd the Current reading (which was already zero). "Simples"

I was then able to trace a small load that I had not thought of as running in the background and it was probably the cause of the low voltage cut-out that started the whole issue. I now calculate I can leave the vehicle for 24 days before it will get down to an SOC of 70% without relying on any solar input - which of course I can also do.

I must now raise another thread to seek peoples experience on the use of the Direct USB lead to provide a Raspberry Pi operating Hologram with data that I can post to the cloud to monitor the battery states remotely.

Thanks for all of your prompting Guy. It gave me sufficient to isolate the issue and solve it even if it presently uses a computer I won't carry with me!!

2 |3000