question

jameswade avatar image
jameswade asked

How to monitor and control MultiPlus and SmartSolar, and adjust the AC input/shore current limit?

I have a MultiPlus 3000 inverter and a SmartSolar charge controller and may purchase a Victron (Orion) DC - DC at some point.

I also have the USB converter to talk with the inverter with a laptop.

I'd like a monitor that would let me easily change charging current in the inverter when I change between generator and shore power. And it would be nice to see battery voltage solar wattage and daily solar watthours.

I can use Bluetooth on the smartphone for the charge controller and the USB adapter on a laptop for the inverter. Is there a way to connect the devices so that Bluetooth can see both of them?

Is there a control panel that can see both of them that doesn't require an expensive interface?

MPPT ControllersMultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerVictronConnectBluetooth
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Murray van Graan avatar image
Murray van Graan answered ·

Hi @jameswade. Why not look at a GX device? It does all the above, and a lot more. See this: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:start

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jameswade avatar image
jameswade answered ·

I was trying to avoid the additional cost, installation space, complexity, etc.

Just looking at the notes on this page give me pause. Is there no way to connect the inverter and charge controller without adding more equipment?

It looks as if the inverter does wired and the charge controller does Bluetooth. Can they be connected together without a bunch of additional cost and equipment?

1 comment
2 |3000

The only way to functionally connect an MPPT charge controller with a MultiPlus is with a GX device.

I am not sure exactly what are you trying to achieve by connecting them together though?

If it is just to use the Bluetooth function of the MPPT, then you will need to get the VE.Bus Smart Dongle instead. That will make the MultiPlus bluetooth enabled.

0 Likes 0 ·
jameswade avatar image
jameswade answered ·

The more I research this the more confused I get. The color controller is just too expensive.

So It looks as if I'll have to have two different control panels - the Digital Multi Control 200/200A GX for the inverter and a separate on for the charge controller.

Do I need the 'BlueSolar Victron MPPT Control' or the 'SmartSolar Pluggable Display for MPPTs'?

I thought the VE bus used RJ-45 connectors like I see on the Multiplus 3000. I don't see an RJ-45 connector on the SmartSolar 200/20 - just a rectangular connector that already has some kind of jumper in it.

I've gone through every manual I could find online, but I'm not seeing more information about this. I don't even know what the fuse is for - is it protecting the PV connection, the Battery connection, or the Load connection?

1 comment
2 |3000

The Digital Multi Control is indeed designed for what you are trying to achieve.

But I don't understand why you are also looking at the Pluggable display option, when you already have what you need from the VictronConnect app?

I personally find the app and bluetooth to be a much better interface than the push buttons of the display.

The fuse is for protecting the device itself, it may blow on any one of those faults, but should never blow. It is STRONGLY recommended that you protect your system wiring independently using fuses that are rated at LESS than that fuse - 20A for the 15A MPPT models, and 25A for the 20A MPPT models, and pretend the fuse isn't there. Though it is something to check if the device stops working properly.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @jameswade,

I can sympathise with your confusion, as there are MANY options for what you are trying to do:

7618-slide43.jpeg

7626-slide2.jpeg

The charge current control assistant

The charge current control assistant, this could be nearly free, but requires the most work from you to program the unit in VEConfigure (requiring the MK3 dongle to setup) and wiring a series of switches or other controls connected to the AUX input on the Multi to signal to it when you want various charge current limits applied. You can have a play around with this assistant using the demo mode of VEConfigure with a fake target. There is no relationship to the MPPT, that must be must be set separately in VictronConnect.

7623-screen-shot-2020-01-31-at-93939-am.jpg

The Digital Multi Control

The Digital Multi Control, this specific part was designed for exactly what you are asking. Intended for marine and vehicle systems. It connects only to the Multi via VE.Bus, and allows you to switch the unit on/off, and also adjust the AC input current limit with the dial. Showing the current limit on an LCD display. There is no connection or relationship to the MPPT with this unit, the MPPT current limit must be managed separately. It's a physical device, and doesn't involve using an app, which can be a pro, or a con.

7624-slide38.jpeg

The VE.Bus Smart Dongle

If you want Bluetooth control via the VictronConnect App, you will need to get the VE.Bus Smart Dongle. This adds Bluetooth functionality to the Multis. This dongle allows adjustment of the AC input current limit with your phone, and you will see your Multi along side your MPPT in the device overview screen. It is quite affordable. More info in the manual for the dongle here.

The MK3 to USB adapter

You can also use your current MK3 to USB adapter, and plug it into an Android phone, Mac or Windows computer and use the VictronConnect version for those to make the changes with the hard wire. This hardwire option is not available for iPhone or iPad unfortunately, for that you need the VE.Bus Smart Bluetooth dongle.

7619-1da726f95686eb40a4e359cd89c49fd89fbc340ee8352b598e.jpeg 7620-vc-vebus-dongle-6.jpeg

The GX device

A GX device, as you have seen, the industry leading monitoring and control solution that comes with MANY more options. This allows you to use the Distributed Voltage and Current Control system that allows for simultaneous control of both the Multi and the MPPT to set a total overall system limit and/or easy adjustment of the AC input current limits of the Multi specifically.

7625-slide39.jpeg

The unsupported raspberry pi

Lastly the wildcard option, not particularly recommended nor supported, but you could acquire yourself a raspberry pi and attempt to build your own GX-like device, using our free operating system VenusOS. Possibly a fun project, but only for the love-linux-technical type.

2 |3000

punda avatar image
punda answered ·

Hello,

Why is not bluetooth built in on the Multiplus range, as it is one the cheapest of Victron products?

2 |3000