question

alistair-jeffcoat avatar image
alistair-jeffcoat asked

Internal Error Alarm from Venus GX with Pylontech

I’ve had an error come up on one of our GX devices saying “Internal Error Alarm”. This seems to be related to the BMS in our Pylontech batteries.

All I can find in Victrons docs is under https://www.victronenergy.com/live/vrm_portal:alarms – the last line in 2.1.2. Although this is no help; it only shows me that it’s an alarm that is being monitored.

Can you please tell me what this alarm means?

PylontechVenus GX - VGX
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Alistair Jeffcoat

This is an error coming from your battery, so the batteries have to be read out to know what is going wrong.

Your installer should be able to help you with this.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alistair-jeffcoat avatar image alistair-jeffcoat commented ·

Thank you Daniel, I'll speak to the installer of the battery.

0 Likes 0 ·
stratanet avatar image
stratanet answered ·

Hi guys,

Just jumping on this thread; it's our battery system that @Alistair Jeffcoat was asking about, on our behalf.

The battery bank is 6x Pylontech 3000. I've adjusted the charge voltage down to 52V, and ensured that the DIP switches on the batteries are set correctly - however the issue is still there.

Seems that others have this problem too: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/41131/battery-monitor-512-alarm-internal-error-alarm-qua.html?childToView=42636#answer-42636

As these batteries are in the supported list for Victron, is there any further info that anyone can provide on this? FYI the charger is a MultiPlus-II 48/3000/35-32 (internal GX device).

Cheers!

6 comments
2 |3000

Hi @StrataNet

What is the VRM id of the installation?

0 Likes 0 ·
stratanet avatar image stratanet Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

NOTE: Have posted VRM ID viewable by moderators only.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ stratanet commented ·

Hi @StrataNet

Nobody can do anything with your vrm id, but it's best to post the number (in your case 479xx).

from what I can see in vrm, your system has never worked, the battery has never been used yet. I would advice to let your installer set thing right for you.

if your installer has trouble making things work, he/she can ask for support from the distributor of the Victron equipment and/or the battery distributor.

0 Likes 0 ·
stratanet avatar image stratanet Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your reply. I am the installer - however information regarding these errors can be fairly limited. We've recently started installing Victron products around 6 months ago, and we have a contract to deploy about 100 more sites in the next 2.5 years. @Alistair Jeffcoat above is our distributor for Victron, so I decided it was easiest for me to describe the issues directly. He has mentioned in the past that he struggles to get any direct support with Victron, other than this forum.

Regards,
Richard.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ stratanet commented ·

@StrataNet

Hi Richard, the normal support route is through your distributor, you distributor can contact his / her Victron Salesperson for information and training.
When there is a technical issue the distributor cannot solve, they have direct contact with the repairs department, and also with Victron support.

In this case, it seems there is something wrong with the battery (or DC connection but I assume you have double checked that already)

I'll email you directly, but I think you need the battery distributor to help you here, as we at Victron cannot see what is going on in the batteries.

I assume you can connect the batteries to a laptop to read out the errors and maybe update the firmware.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi Daniel,

Thanks very much for your detailed reply. I'll have a look at your email now and will also have another chat to our battery distributor. They did say they have a serial cable they can connect to the batteries - I'll enquire about it.

Cheers,
Richard.

0 Likes 0 ·
jaqibar avatar image
jaqibar answered ·

@alistair-jeffcoat & StataNet .

Have you had any solution on the error? I have managed to get past the error repeating itself temporally, but this only works when you are using ESS. It seems to be an issue for the battery bms when battery stays charged of several days (whether it’s the absorption voltage or SOC is unknown) could find no answer from our suppliers nor the PylonTech network. If only access could be gained to the internal bms to monitor the internal voltages or cells history. Or an solution can help.

2 |3000

Ned Yu (Pylontech) avatar image
Ned Yu (Pylontech) answered ·

Dear @Alistair Jeffcoat

Trust you are well!

This Ned from Pylontech.

Does this alarm still exist? Can you contact with my through below email?

ned.yu@pylontech.com.cn

I will find a way to help you solve this problem.

Best Regards

Ned

2 |3000

Ned Yu (Pylontech) avatar image
Ned Yu (Pylontech) answered ·

Dear @Alistair Jeffcoat

I'm sorry I didn't pay attention to your question until recently.

Please see the diagnosis results and suggestions from Pylontech technical team below.

The cause of this alarm message:Our battery has a kind of BMS logic:When the battery is not charged or discharged for 3 days,always in idle state. The battery will automatically shut down and go to sleep mode.Only when the battery is charged or discharged again, by then the battery will automatically activate.

So when there is a battery to sleep mode and shut down, our Master battery will light up red light and send message to the inverter show there is an internal alarm. (You can check the first three days of the alarm record, the battery will be used once.)

What I want to highlight fist is that. This is a normal BMS logic of our battery, to reduce unnecessary self discharge consumption loss of the system.it will not affect the normal use of the whole system or cause damage to the system. So don’t worry.

This situation usually occurs when the inverter sets the battery to the backup power supply, or UPS mode. The battery is not used as often, and it is usually left unused after being charged to 100%.

The solution:

1.Determine the working mode of on-site situation. If the customer does not want to use the back-up mode, please set the battery has priority over the public-grid to power the load.

2. If the customer only wants to use the battery as a backup power source, The customer can limit the inverter to charge the battery only up to 90% not 100%, so that the battery will not enter the standby state.

Hope these information will help. Please let me know if you have more questions.

2 |3000

mac avatar image
mac answered ·

Hi all,

I'm user of MultiPlus-II 48/3000/35-32 together with two Pylontech US2000C. The system doesn't charge or discharge the Pylontechs, all I reach is the error

Battery Monitor [512] Automatic monitoring Internal error alarm: Alarm 2021-04-24 14:09:29 Aktiv

After swiching on in the correct order the master Pylontech goes on red light an alrming the intern eroor. So what can I do ?

Thanks for any suggestions and help.

Mac_

2 comments
2 |3000

@Ned Yu (Pylontech)

question for you?

0 Likes 0 ·
Ned Yu (Pylontech) avatar image Ned Yu (Pylontech) commented ·

Hi Mac

Please send your email to our technical team email. "service@pylontech.com.cn"

It's better to provide the wiring photos of your battery system. Our engineer will follow up with your case shortly.

Best Regards

Ned

0 Likes 0 ·
isabelle avatar image
isabelle answered ·

Hello,

This alarme with message "Battery internal failure" has occured again this morning. Just before I had looked at the control screem. The batteries were fulled at 89%, discharged during the night by the fridge 88 Watt, charged arround 85 Watt with the sun who get up. The day before, the system will be used, batteries discharged up to 75% in few time and recharged in some hours.

This is the third times, the problem occured, each time when I use the electric kettle.

The system was recently installed.

2 |3000