question

tony-g avatar image
tony-g asked

Victron Multiplus, single, Error code 17

Hi,

I got ve.bus error 17 on a single multi plus inverter. ( see https://drive.google.com/open?id=10JNO4of2wJyu3LPYIzx3hXrt-U0WUdCx) . This shouldn't come on a single device, so I updated firmware to latest one, but it didn't help.

What could cause this and how to fix?

error
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ยท

@Tony G, what's the history of the device and under what circumstances did this error arise? IE, is this a new installation with new-from-distributor device, or is this an existing installation in which the error suddenly arose, or is this a new installation of a device that had been previously used in a different installation?

Since it's a "missing phase master" error, my assumption is that (assuming this is a new unit) the device was accidentally configured to be used in a parallel configuration, or if it's a used device, it had been previously configured for parallel operation.

I recommend connecting to the device and opening VE.Bus Quick Configure, which is part of the "VE Configuration Tools for VE Bus Products" available for download here if you don't already have them; select "Reset a Multi to Standalone Operation" and proceed as directed (see attached screenshot).

reset.jpg (32.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tony-g avatar image
tony-g answered ยท

@Justin Cook Device is from an existing installation and suddenly this error appeared. I will try to reset multi to a standalone mode if it helps.

3 comments
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook โ™ฆโ™ฆ commented ยท

@Tony G It's definitely the first thing to try, given the nature of the error. Let us know if that fixes it!

0 Likes 0 ยท
tony-g avatar image tony-g Justin Cook โ™ฆโ™ฆ commented ยท

It didn't help.. @Justin Cook Any other ideas?

0 Likes 0 ยท
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook โ™ฆโ™ฆ tony-g commented ยท

@Tony G I must confess that I'm stumped... haven't encountered this before. At this point I'd recommend doing a full disconnect of the device (all DC and AC supply as well as any communication/remote cables) and let it sit for ~24 hours (this is usually more like 8, but full protocol requires 24 to be sure) to let the caps drain out and the unit's stored error memory to reset, then hook everything back up again.

If that doesn't clear the error, then unfortunately it sounds like it may be time to contact your distributor for warranty service or replacement.

0 Likes 0 ยท
oracal avatar image
oracal answered ยท

I have the same problem on my unit, it has been installed for several years and worked fine, i went away and disconnected the incoming ac supply from it, the batteries have gone down to 11.9volts whilst away but now will not come out of this error. any updtes would be helpfull

2 |3000

Herve RV Nizard avatar image
Herve RV Nizard answered ยท

Just got on a site where a Victron user has this same problem . Single Multi 24/3K inverter - Off Grid - Sudden problem after 4 years . ? Tried to disconnect all . reconnect but still same error 17 with Overload alarmm ( 0 loads connected) , Simplify batteries 100% full. Any update ? Has anyone found a solution ?

1 comment
2 |3000

markr avatar image markr commented ยท

I've got the same problem.. 12/3000/120, single/standalone mode, latest available firmware, powered off grid far a couple of weeks, error 17.

Powered on and off, disconnected all inputs and outputs (battery, shore, L1 & L2),

Used VE.Bus Quick Configure to reset to standalone, still error 17.

Defaulted the unit using Mk3 usb and reprogrammed, still error 17

This unit is one of the older Multiplus 2 (no assistants) models and has worked perfectly for several years.

Surly this isn't some kind of built in obsolescence?

0 Likes 0 ยท

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic