question

crexi avatar image
crexi asked

BMV 712 remote monitoring over Internet

Hi everybody !
What is the cheapest way to monitor my BMV 712 remotely, over the WiFi to Internet ?

Thanks !

BMV Battery Monitorwifi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@crexi, the Venus GX is the most cost-effective Victron-supported method of which I'm aware to connect your BMV to the net and monitor your battery state through the VRM; you'll also need a USB wifi dongle, but that can be any 3rd party USB/wifi dongle, no Victron branding needed.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

The Venus GX has WiFi build-in. ;)

0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

Hi @crexi Take a look at the LoRaWan device which will allow connectivity to the VRM portal and can connect to a BMV via ve.direct. Access points may be an issue though. Alternatively a Venus GX with wifi can connect to your home router and to the BMW via ve.direct. I assume the installation is static?

1 comment
2 |3000

crexi avatar image crexi commented ·

@ejrossouw, thanks !
I've looked into LoRaWan and coverage in my area.
No coverage :(
Yes, the installation is meant to be static, on my boat, tied to a buoy in Croatia.

0 Likes 0 ·
crexi avatar image
crexi answered ·

@Justin Cook, thanks!
I was hoping there is a more affordable solution :)

3 comments
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

@crexi, no, alas. I didn't even bother suggesting the LoRaWAN because of the coverage issues; and currently there are no other small-scale connectivity devices that Victron offers. I know the Venus is super-overkill for your system, given that it and all the GX line of devices are designed for medium- to large-scale installations, but unfortunately those are the only manufacturer-supported methods of connection at this time.

That being said, it's certainly conceivable that you could work around it by using a VE.Direct to USB Interface plugged into the back of the BMV and then plugged into a cheap computer that you leave on board with remote access configured... that way you just remotely log into the onboard computer, start the copy of VictronConnect that's on it, and you could view the BMV data that way.

If you have an old windows laptop laying around and you have the time and patience to set up a system like that, you could save a lot of money, if not necessarily time.

0 Likes 0 ·
crexi avatar image crexi Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks !
I was wondering of Raspberry Pi with VenusOS+ Ve to USB cable, but I don't know whether I can run anything else (monitor bilge pumps, intruder alarm, WiFi camera) besides that VenusOS.

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ crexi commented ·

That's a good question; you may be able to find out more about the capabilities of that sort of setup in the Victron Modifications section, as that's where people are actively playing with Pi setups :)

0 Likes 0 ·
swampbush avatar image
swampbush answered ·

Remote control of Android phone left within Bluetooth range of the bmv.

2 |3000

crexi avatar image
crexi answered ·

@Swampbush, thanks !
An interesting idea !

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron BMV battery monitors product page