question

deichel avatar image
deichel asked

Venus GX & SolarEdge SE7K + SE Energy Meter total energy consumption AC-loads wrong

Hi !

I'm currently building my energy storage (on grid) consisting of a Multi Plus II, generic battery and PV inverter from SolarEdge (SE7K) with the SE modus energy meter (SE-WND-3Y400-MB-K2).

At this stage ONLY the Venus GX is connected, the Multiplus II is still in its box ;-)

As written in the FAQ the Venus-GX was able to find the SE7K.

Now I'm able to see the production of the SE7K.

My problem is that concerning the total AC-consumption it equals the SE7K production. This is not true. During the night it shows 0W for the AC loads but the SolarEdge portal shows me that that there is consumption from the grid.

Day (with PV production)

Night (no PV production)

Does this mean I need to buy an additional energy meter (e.g. EM24) if i want to monitor the total AC power consumption that I'll be later able to feed only so much energy from the battery that my purchased energy will be zero?

As far as I can see from the SE portal the power taken from the grid is also available from the SE Modbus energy meter.

Help greatly apprechiated!

Dirk

Energy Meterinput current
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

Hi @deichel Ensure the correct role for the meter has been selected in the Energy Meter section of the remote console. The 3 phase ET340 will be for use with ESS as the EM is a monitoring only device. Someone else may be able to confirm if your SolarEdge unit will work as opposed to the ET340, but I do not believe it is approved for ESS functionality.

1578333036641.png (21.3 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

evhaandel avatar image
evhaandel answered ·

Hello Dirk,

I'm building a similar setup as you with similar components. I also have a Venus GX connected to my SolarEdge SE10K and this solar inverter is connected to the SolarEdge Modbus Meter. To see the Grid consumption in VRM environment I added EM24 meter which is connected to the Venus GX. So far as I know it's not possible to get grid consumption values from the SolarEdge modbus meter to the Venus GX.

img-2169.png (167.1 KiB)
img-2170.png (260.9 KiB)
2 |3000

deichel avatar image
deichel answered ·

Understood, I already ordered an EM24 to monitor In & Out from / to the grid.

Thanks for your help!

Dirk

2 |3000

beny avatar image
beny answered ·

Ich baue auch ein ähnliches System. Ich habe aber einen SolarEdge 5000 HD Wave mit LG 10H Akku. Ich werde das System mit Victron Multiplus II GX- und Pylontech-Batterien erweitern.
Wie ich hier verstanden habe, wird ein weiterer Verbrauchszähler aus der Verteilung benötigt. Ich habe eine EM 340 für meine Zwecke, aber leider wird sie nicht unterstützt. Eine andere Sache ist, dass die RS 485-Kabellänge bis zu 100 Meter beträgt. Leider kann der USB-Konverter nur 5 Meter verarbeiten. Ich muss den WLAN-Konverter anschließen. Sonstige Aufwendungen ...
In der Venus GX-Konfiguration ist SolarEdge für die Konfiguration von RS 485-1 vorgesehen. SolarEdge HD misst den Verbrauch und kommuniziert mit dem Akku. Ich hoffe, es macht Ihnen nichts aus, RS 485-2 zu verwenden.
Ich möchte sowohl LG- als auch Pylontech-Akkus messen. Pylontech wird wahrscheinlich in Ordnung sein, aber ich weiß nicht, ob der Akku des BMV 700 H LG mit einer Spannung von bis zu 385 V und einer Reichweite von 350-450 V zurechtkommt.

2 |3000

deichel avatar image
deichel answered ·

Hi !

Thanks @ejrossouw.

I think it is good to clarify what the rootcause of the misunderstanding was.

I thought that supporting the SE7K means that the GX can read the data from the SolarEdge (RS485) energy meter.

That is wrong assumtion by myside.

Correct is that if you enable Modbus TCP on the SE7K you can read the data from the SE Energy Meter on TCP Port 502 (on newer devices the default is 1502) and read from the SE7k (not the Energy Meter!) the production of the SE7K on Port 126.

Due to that fact it is mandatory to add an additional EM24 to the system to have the full picture.

Hope that helps the other users.

It is also good to know that the SE7K is holding the connection for 2 minutes and is supporting only one concurrent TCT connection. In other words if device A is "talking" to the SE7K it is impossible for another device to talk with the SE7K at least for 2 minutes.

Regards,

Dirk

2 |3000

beny avatar image
beny answered ·
Yesterday I tested the connection with 5000 HD Wave. Yes you are right, you can only see the production of the inverter and not the consumption. But if you can see a lot of other data (firmware version, serial number, type) it might be worth asking developers to read more data from SolarEdge over Modbus TCP. Battery data and self-consumption would be great.
2 |3000

Harold Halewijn avatar image
Harold Halewijn answered ·

Hi all, interesting topic because I'm planning to extend my 2 SE inverters (connected with SE Smart Metering device) to a Victron ESS with 3 (phase) multiplus-ii units.

The point is that Victron uses modbus-TCP rather than the RS485 bus. The RS485 bus holds all the information that is needed. The SE Metering device (acting as a slave) communicates with one of the SE master inverters. The other inverter is also running in slave mode. So by connecting to RS485, the GX device should be able to read out all required information, instead by using it's own device. This should be on our wish-list!

Imagine people who have also smart EV loading, like Zappi. You would have to fit 3 CT's per phase inside your distribution panel. That's impossible! This is why we have an industry standard called RS485! It's old but reliable. Hopefully Victron has plans to implement this?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Energy Meter Selection Guide

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic