question

mk1993 avatar image
mk1993 asked

Alternatives to having x6 Orion-Tr 24/17

My system: the LiFePO4 is charged by a second alternator 24V/110A, so it is independant from the starter 12V battery.

Does anyone know of a good 24V 100A battery charger instead of taking 6 Orion-Tr 24/17 (between alternator and battery)? Or is there a more costs efficient way?

Thanks in advance for your help!

battery chargingOrion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

A good Li battery will charge at 0.5C rates.

What capacity battery do you have?

0 Likes 0 ·
mk1993 avatar image mk1993 klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Thanks for replying. The capacity would be 200Ah (Victron 24V battery).

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @MK1993

Control the Alternator by the bms (setup correct charging voltage in alternator, and use 'allow to charge' signal to enable alternator)

as the LiFePO4 battery is the only one on that alternator, you don't need a battery-battery charger if you can adjus the voltage of the alternator. If you want a charge curve, you can use an alternator with configurable voltage regulator.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mk1993 avatar image mk1993 commented ·

Thanks @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff)for the reply. I have a couple more questions I was hoping you could clarify?

When the lithium batteries are charged how does the alternator automatically switch off or is this done manually?

How is the alternator in that case protected from high voltage?

In your example schematics you have an Orion-TR and a Cyrix-Li charge, whats the benefit of having both?

Just for some further clarification the alternator is a pretty basic 24v 110a canal boat engine alternator.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ mk1993 commented ·

Hi @MK1993

I strongly advice to consult a (boat) electrician to get your system working safely as you want it to.

the answers on your questions depend very much on your specific system.

for example: when the alternator also charges another (lead acid) battery, you can use a Cyrix, but if the lithium battery is the only load on the alternator, a disconnect can damage the alternator and possibly other devices connected to the alternator.

0 Likes 0 ·
mk1993 avatar image mk1993 Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) don't worry I am, I'm just trying to get my head round it first. Thanks for your help :)

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual