question

anders-h avatar image
anders-h asked

Cell balancing problem 5x90Ah LioFePO4

Hi everyone,

I´ve been using 5x90Ah 12v LioFePO4 in my boat for five seasons now.

This summer I experienced some problems for the first time. When SOC goes down to 50-60% voltage drops to approx 12,5 volts and the BMS shuts down the system.

I´m convinced i have a cell balancing problem here and that the battery with with the worst unbalance is the one making the BMS shutting down the system.

I have the NON smart batteries and looking for a solution to be able to measure cell voltage on my batteries?

Otherwise it´s a "needle in a haystack" trying to find which of the five batteries suffering from cell unbalance..

question nr 2 is how to restore cell balance?

Charging every battery stand alone connected via bms 12/200 or just straight on the battery with a suitable lithium charger (4-5A)?

battery chargingbattery capacity
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Anders H

You can try a long charge on low current to balance the batteries:

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-Lithium-iron-phosphate-(LiFePO4)-battery-EN-NL-FR-DE-ES-A5.pdf

to really test the batteries: discharge them one by one and see how much capacity they still have.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

anders-h avatar image
anders-h answered ·

Thanks for feedback! How do I test the capacity that is left after discharge?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic