question

freytshy avatar image
freytshy asked

Ohmpilot in ESS with Multi/Quattro and Fronius Primo on AC output

Hello.

Main reason why I'm asking this is because ESS manual says the Fronius SmartMeter can't be used in Victron/Fronius ESS setup.

My goal is to use PV power mainly and primarily to produce heat (second to use the surplus, third to store the surplus).

My idea was to set up the system like in the diagram attached and configure Victron ESS with "control without grid meter" = OFFThe Fronius SmartMeter would only be used for the Ohmpilot to know how much energy can be used for the boiler (Surplus = "PV engergy" - "Critical loads energy")

My questions are:

- Will this have an impact on Victron/Fronius ESS setup?

- Will Fronius Zero feed-in still work?

Many thanks for your thoughts and Merry Christmas!! Mike

ESSAC PV CouplingFronius
ohmpilot.jpg (109.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi

It will still work with the ESS but i used a energy meter for the victron as well so it know what is going on.

I have a Fronius with a smart meter running but i am using the IO port to switch any surplus energy back into the water heating element if required, just have to set up the surplus power set points to suit the PV sizing.

So the priority is to supply the house loads then any surplus charges the battery and then the watering heating if required, and after that when i have any surplus supply the grid.

And it seems to work very well to date.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

CristiMV avatar image CristiMV commented ·
So, Rob, can you provide more details? I have the same setup, Fronius connected to the AC-Out of a Multiplus, and for measuring the imported/exported energy from/to the grid, and for being able to use the extra energy to heat up the water in the boiler, I was planning to install a Fronius Smart Meter 63A-3. Several articles are saying the opposite that this will not work with ESS and create more chaos. How did you actually solved this? Can you add a schematic? Thanks
0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie CristiMV commented ·

Hi Cristian

My Fronius is connected to the AC in not out, but do have another grid tied inverter in the AC out but i have grid meter wired to the Victron.

The fronius, water heater is contolled via a external relay contactor direct, no ohmpilot is not required in my case, just configured the Fronius output to a certain set of parameters. E.G heater on at 1000 watts and off at 500 watts of import power and a time limit of 3 hours.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·
freytshy avatar image
freytshy answered ·

Hi Rob

Thanks for your answer. Good to know an additional smartmeter will not "confuse" the ESS setup. Out of interest, are you using the Ohmpilot or any other device to supply the power to the heater?

KR Mike

1 comment
2 |3000

Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie commented ·

Hi

No just a relay control from a IO from the Fronius Primo.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·
CristiMV avatar image
CristiMV answered ·
Thanks Rob. So then you use the digital outputs to control an external relay, and the relay further to control a contactor. Regarding the load management, I understand you are controlling the heater by "power production" and not by "power surplus". This means that you are not having a Fronius Smart Meter installed? Or do you...at least you mentioned in the first reply that you do...or it is installed, but no RS485 connection to the inverter?
1 comment
2 |3000

Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie commented ·

Hi

Yes i am using surplus PV power to heat the hot water, and i do have have a smart meter installed at the mains incomer.

Drawing later when i get a chance, just very busy at the moment

0 Likes 0 ·
CristiMV avatar image
CristiMV answered ·
After additional reading, I realized that it would be possible to interconnect the Fronius with the Fibaro home automation, by connecting a Fibaro Universal Binary sensor on two I/O's from the Datamanager, and from there to be able to turn on/off two Zwave relays.
1 comment
2 |3000

Agropensiunea Cerna avatar image Agropensiunea Cerna commented ·
Some details?
0 Likes 0 ·