question

jasonrmh avatar image
jasonrmh asked

Victron Phoenix 12/800 Inverter Repair

Hi all,

I have 12v 12/800 phoenix inverter on my camper van.

The wife plugged in her hair drier (2000W) and I guess this has blown the internal fuse of the inverter?

The inverter does not work, no lights or beeps.

Will the internal fuse have blown or will the inverter actually be dead?

Is there any contact details for victron so I can return for repair?

Thanks

Jason

Phoenix Inverter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Hi @jasonrmh,

Victron support/warranty service/etc is handled by the Victron distributor from whom you purchased the device, so your best course of action is to get in touch with the distributor directly. You can use Victron's dealer finder here to get contact information for the distributor or, if you can't find/remember the distributor, Victron has a handy way to find that information for you based upon the device serial number.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jasonrmh avatar image
jasonrmh answered ·

Ok thanks, I'll get in touch with them.

2 comments
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

@jasonrmh as a side thought, do you not have a fuse at the battery between the battery and inverter? You should have one... in which case it's that fuse that should have blown, so if you have one and you haven't checked it yet, you should check that first.

0 Likes 0 ·
jasonrmh avatar image jasonrmh Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

@Justin Cook thanks for the suggestion!!

The cable from the battery is protected with a 100A midi fuse, which I had already checked, close to the inverter.

However, your suggestion made me remember, I has fused both ends of the cable run and forgotten about the fuse closest to the leisure battery.

That fuse had blown! Replaced the fuse and the inverter is working!

Thanks for your reply! :D

Jason

0 Likes 0 ·
philippe avatar image
philippe answered ·

Hi,

Just a question as I have a fuse and I have blown it already 3 times. So what is the correct fuse for the Multiplus Compact 12/800/35 ? 40A blows away when in charge and switching on/off the grid.

All the best,

Philippe

3 comments
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

800W / 12V = 66,6A

1600W (Peak Power) / 12V = 133,3A

So I think the original fuse is 125A or 150A.

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Hi Philippe,

Your 12/800/35 is rated for peak loads of 1600w. It will need a 125a fuse to meet its peak load.

Make sure your wiring is capable for peak load currents.

0 Likes 0 ·
jasonrmh avatar image jasonrmh commented ·

Hi @philippe,

I have mine protected by a 100A fuse, and in this situation where my wife has plugged in her hair drier, it has saved me!

Thanks

Jason

0 Likes 0 ·
gmuller avatar image
gmuller answered ·

Hi, I have a 12/1200 inverter. I recently changed the fuse and is the same as OP. I've checked all connections and see no problems. When I switch it on the green light flickers briefly before going out. Could this also be a internal fuse issue? And this being the case can I not change it myself? But as I get a light briefly I figure there is something else going on. Any help would be great. Thanks

2 |3000