question

sebastian-w avatar image
sebastian-w asked

Alternator to LifePo4 batteries

What is the best way to deal with the "studied alternator" problem, after switching to LifePo4?

Just installed 2x 4x Winston 200Ah cells, everything works, exempt from the alternator, that has not been connected yet.

What is the best way to do this, so it doesn't burn off?

Have looked at:

Buck-Boost DC-DC Converter 50A/100A - Nope not going to happen to expensive!

Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC Charger Isolated - 25A way to slow.

Lithium Batteryalternator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

You already know the two options you have.
You can use multiple Orion to get more current, but at some point you will overload the alternator again.

Is the alternator your only charging source?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sebastian-w avatar image sebastian-w commented ·

Yes, when I'm motor sailing.

I have solar also, but they only work when it's sunny :)
And shore power when I'm in a marina.

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@Sebastian W., there are also several options from Sterling Power to consider - An Alt to Batt charger or a Battery to Battery charger, all available in various charge rates considering that you stated Victron's B2B charger is too low-current.

None of the options are particularly inexpensive, however; having dropped a significant amount of money on the batteries, you will unfortunately have to be prepared to drop another significant amount to keep them charged appropriately.

2 comments
2 |3000

sebastian-w avatar image sebastian-w commented ·

I have looked on the Sterling alternator to battery charger, but it doesn't support LifePo4 batteries.

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ sebastian-w commented ·

@Sebastian W., that depends on the model you're looking at... the 12/130 has an LFP profile:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0658/7343/files/AB12130.pdf?477

0 Likes 0 ·
spirou avatar image
spirou answered ·

Check the prices but alternatives:

Schaudt WA series

Votronic VCC series (boat line)

Mastervolt Mac plus series

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?