question

davidq avatar image
davidq asked

Has Anyone Actually Destroyed an Alternator?

I would like to know if anyone out there has actually managed to destroy their alternator by using a Cyrix LI CT and a lithium battery bank?

(I do know about 'the video' and why a DC/DC converter is the 'correct' solution. However, this is expensive in comparison to Cyrix and one loses some nice functions such as bidirectional charging and start assist).

If it's such a no no to use a Cyrix, why does Victron sell it?

Looking forward to hearing some real world experience.

Dave

Lithium BatteryalternatorCyrix Battery Combiner
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Nev avatar image Nev commented ·

I keep trying Dave despite those YouTube warning videos . ;)

We have been travelling fulltime for 7 years in our Mitsubishi Canter based motorhome here in NZ.

Our 100A rated alternator has been direct charging our 4 cell 300Ah Sinopoly LiFePO4 battery at 80-90A continuous until full. No smoke yet.

The alternator spins over 3000 rpm at fast idle.

We have only a single battery that powers the RV and starts the truck.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

'If it's such a no no to use a Cyrix, why does Victron sell it?'

We don't all use lithium.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

We started installing Victron lithium batteries in 2013.
At this time there weren't any DCDC Charger available, so we installed a big relay (no Cyrix-li-ct because it wasn't also not available).
I know of at least one customer who had to replace the alternator 3 or 4 times by now.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

davidq avatar image
davidq answered ·

Thank you Matthias.

2 |3000

batak avatar image
batak answered ·

From what I've been told, the amperage limitation of the stock charging wire in the 7-pin connector is so low that there is no risk to harming your alternator. People have run into problems when they increase the wire size and remove this limitation. A stock Alternator (in most cases) is not designed to charge Lithium batteries.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Product page Cyrix Battery Combiner

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?