question

davidq avatar image
davidq asked

Has Anyone Actually Destroyed an Alternator?

I would like to know if anyone out there has actually managed to destroy their alternator by using a Cyrix LI CT and a lithium battery bank?

(I do know about 'the video' and why a DC/DC converter is the 'correct' solution. However, this is expensive in comparison to Cyrix and one loses some nice functions such as bidirectional charging and start assist).

If it's such a no no to use a Cyrix, why does Victron sell it?

Looking forward to hearing some real world experience.

Dave

Lithium BatteryCyrix Battery Combineralternator
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

I keep trying Dave despite those YouTube warning videos . ;)

We have been travelling fulltime for 7 years in our Mitsubishi Canter based motorhome here in NZ.

Our 100A rated alternator has been direct charging our 4 cell 300Ah Sinopoly LiFePO4 battery at 80-90A continuous until full. No smoke yet.

The alternator spins over 3000 rpm at fast idle.

We have only a single battery that powers the RV and starts the truck.

0 Likes 0 ·

'If it's such a no no to use a Cyrix, why does Victron sell it?'

We don't all use lithium.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

We started installing Victron lithium batteries in 2013.
At this time there weren't any DCDC Charger available, so we installed a big relay (no Cyrix-li-ct because it wasn't also not available).
I know of at least one customer who had to replace the alternator 3 or 4 times by now.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

davidq avatar image
davidq answered ·

Thank you Matthias.

2 |3000

batak avatar image
batak answered ·

From what I've been told, the amperage limitation of the stock charging wire in the 7-pin connector is so low that there is no risk to harming your alternator. People have run into problems when they increase the wire size and remove this limitation. A stock Alternator (in most cases) is not designed to charge Lithium batteries.

2 |3000