question

Kaj Lehtinen avatar image
Kaj Lehtinen asked

CCGX doesnt report midpoint voltage from BMV-702 when using VEDirect to NMEA2000 Adapter

Got a BMV-702 and CCGX and a 24 volt system in the boat, before last season I had the BMV-702 monitor the starter battery bank. Last spring I purchased the battery balancer and installed it and rewired & reconfigured the BMV to monitor mid point voltage instead. The BMV display the midpoint voltage fine on its own display, but the CCGX still thinks it gets starter battery reports from the BMV.

Recently I hooked up OpenHab to monitor the state of the charge and switch on my shorepower automatically using the Aeotec Heavy Duty smart switch - works great. While configuring this I saw in the MQTT stream that the CCGX still thinks it has starter battery monitoring from the BMV and not midpoint.

/battery/0/Settings/HasMidVoltage {"value": 0}
/battery/0/Settings/HasSettings {"value": 0}
/battery/0/Settings/HasStarterVoltage {"value": 1}
/battery/0/Settings/HasTemperature {"value": 0}

Clearly the CCGX is stuck or something similar. Is there any fix? I've tried looking in the CCGX meny if there was somthing like rediscover the BMV but cant find that type of feature/option.

BMV Battery MonitorCCGX Color ControlBattery Balancer
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ยท

Hi, what firmware version is on the CCGX , and whats on the BMV? I tried another site just now, and works well there, see picture.

make sure to update all to latest firmware. Venus OS is v2.42; and BMV can be updated to latest version using either VictronConnect or the VRM Portal using its remote firmware update feature.

success & merry christmas, Matthijs

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kaj Lehtinen avatar image Kaj Lehtinen commented ยท

Hi!

The CCGX is on v2.42 and the BMV-702 is on v3.08, The reconfiguration was done back in April/May of 2019 so the CCGX has been on whatever version thats been released during that time since its set to 'automatic updates of official releases'.

I've got remote console setup on it so access from VRM is enabled if there is something that can be tried from the VRM portal.

Happy holidays to you all.

/Kaj

0 Likes 0 ยท

When trying to do a remote upgrade through VRM portal it says

BMV-702
204 0x20 v3.08 v3.10 Not updatable (1342)

Most likely, if I remember the physical installation correctly, the BMV is connected using VE.Direct to Can cable as is the Multiplus compact unit and then the CCGX sits directly on the NMEA2000 network.

0 Likes 0 ยท
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) โ™ฆโ™ฆ Kaj Lehtinen commented ยท

Hi, I had a look on VRM, and I know what the issue is now; hadnt thought of this ;o).

the missing midvoltage is due to the vedirect-nmea2000 interface thats in your system. Its filtering that information out.

The solution would be to take that vedirect-nmea2000 interface out, replace it with a vedirect cable between GX Device and BMV; and if you do so, then I recommend to take the vebus-nmea2000 interface out as well.

The reason they no longer serve a purpose is that since v2.40, the GX Device can do the same. See related blog post and โ€œNMEA2000 outโ€ function.

But, if all that work is worth the effort and risking of fiddling with nmea instances and so forth, is something you have to consider carefully. And consider getting an installer involved; with victron & nmea2000 experience.

Success!

0 Likes 0 ยท

I saw that blogpost earlier, any chance that the VE.Direct to N2K adapter will get one more firmware update before beeing retired :-)

Anyway - making the connection between BMV and CCGX is easy since they are located next to each other, but the Multiplus need a bit longer cable. Its standard CAT 5 cable if I remember correctly?

Also, would it be the same source of error why I dont get any battery temp reporting in the VRM portal although I get a temp graph thats empty.

0 Likes 0 ยท
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) โ™ฆโ™ฆ Kaj Lehtinen commented ยท

Hi,

> I saw that blogpost earlier, any chance that the VE.Direct to N2K adapter will get one more firmware update before beeing retired :-)

no. We stopped a long time ago.

> Anyway - making the connection between BMV and CCGX is easy since they are located next to each other, but the Multiplus need a bit longer cable. Its standard CAT 5 cable if I remember correctly?

Indeed.

> Also, would it be the same source of error why I dont get any battery temp reporting in the VRM portal although I get a temp graph thats empty.

Most likely, yes.

0 Likes 0 ยท

Related Resources

Victron BMV battery monitors product page

CCGX Product Manual

CCGX Product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic