question

Faial Livingston avatar image
Faial Livingston asked

Lynx Ion BMS 400 - Update Remote VRM Error

Hello,

Was doing a routine system check through remote VRM, checked if there were any updates on connected devices. It said there was one for the Lynx ION BMS, clicked update and now the system does not turn on.

The BMS led indicator stays blinking red, it is connected to the GX through CanBus and in technical documentation it states that this method of updating is not possible.

I do not have a victron CanUsb connector and am trying to solve the issue.

Does anyone have insights to a possible solution?

Regards,

Faial

@Wilcop85

BMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi Faial, sorry to hear that!

Whilst myself not knowing everything about the Lynx Ion BMS, I’m quite sure that you can update it using a usb cable. Doesnt require a canusb.

Files and information are available on professional.victronenergy.com (you can make an account for free there).

Pls let me know if that solves it; also I’ve informed Wilco; whom I see you tagged.

best regards Matthijs

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Ps. the other thing you could do is a manual update over vrm: download the .vup file from victron professional, and use that during the remote firmware update on vrm.

however, even if you need to do that now to get out of trouble, I do recommend to do the other method, using the tool available on victron professional, as well - even if only possible to do that at some later moment.

ps. What technical documentation states that this method of updating is not possible?

0 Likes 0 ·
Faial Livingston avatar image Faial Livingston mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Good morning, did not know one could connect via USB to the Color Control GX to then configure the BMS 400. Good to know for the future.

In the end I managed the update via the VRM.

Can not find the text I had read where it said such a thing so likely my misinterpretation.

0 Likes 0 ·
Faial Livingston avatar image Faial Livingston commented ·

Good morning to the both of you!

Thank you for having answered so quickly.

Finally I managed to solve the issue, not more than 30 mins ago.

The method I used was with an Alfa AWUS036NHR USB WiFi antenna connected to the colour control, which in turn was connected to my phone, launched VRM and completed the update procedure of the lynx ion bms.

The issue likely arose as the original internet connection dropped when the inverter switched off as it was connected to the BMS.

Maybe could be a warning to others that internet connection may not drop as in this case the update is dependent on continuity.

Will later reply more in-depth to your questions on my experience.

Cheers,

Faial

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ Faial Livingston commented ·

Hi @Faial Livingston, good morning. Glad to hear you solved it!

The update doesn't require a stable internet, the process goes like this:

1. you scan for devices (internet required)
  2. you select one
  3. the GX device downloads the new firmware from the internet (internet required)
  4. the GX device installs the new firmware onto the device, in this case the Lynx Ion BMS. (no internet required)
  5. the GX device confirms status back to the VRM Portal (internet required, but if its not there, then there is only an issue in the reporting, no other issue).

I'm not sure what happened on your site, but it can't have been the internet. More likely is that the code in the lynx ion that supports these updates over VRM is a bit outdated. There is a newer more robust version, to install that, use the USB update method once. This is why I recommended that; hope its clear.

Thanks and have a good day.

Matthijs

0 Likes 0 ·
Faial Livingston avatar image Faial Livingston mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Yes that was my understanding too, do not know at all why it failed. When I did give the internet connection to the color control GX through a USB antenna and then proceeded to update via VRM I was able to see the progress bar. This was due to the internet not being dependent on the inverter and able to give the progress.

0 Likes 0 ·
Faial Livingston answered ·

This past week has been absolutely hectic and getting to this was not on the top of the list, Government inspection last Thursday so all my energies were on this.

Unfortunately today the day has started on a bad foot. Since having completed the update have not touched the system, just keeping an eye on the SOC.

Today at 0500 the system went off. Immediately went to the BMS, no lights, short and or long button press nothing happens, fuses ok, cables all tight and in place.

Now returning to the site with a multimeter, to check battery voltage. Any other suggestions are more than welcome.

2 |3000

Faial Livingston answered ·

@mvader (Victron Energy Staff)

Now when copying the username noticed there had only been communication with you Matthijs! Thank you for all the suggestions and insights.

Fortunately was able to get a local technician who is the official Victron installer for the Distributor from Tenerife (Cymasol). He did a complete physical check of everything and came to the conclusion the BMS has faulted. There is no communication out of the IO connections, pressing the start button either short or long press has no reaction.

The temporary solution he did was to manualy activate the positive bridge, so at least the clients have power. Was told to keep an eye on voltage and manualy take action should there be the need to.

Tomorrow Monday will contact the distributor where I bought the equipment from for a replacement unit.

My fear is that now there is no balancing, how long can I have the system running without the BMS, what Voltage should I shut the system off at, can the batteries be charged from the generator that is connected to the Inverter, will the inverter charge correctly?

I am in a bit of a confusion but just trying to take the best possible action.

Regards,

Faial

2 |3000