question

neil-jb avatar image
neil-jb asked

Isolation Transformer 3600W Isolation 100 ohms between boat PE and Shore PE

Isolation Transformer 3600W

Has anyone else had this problem

would be nice if I could get a full circuit diagram

but to my understanding there should be no electrical path between Boat PE and shore

victron products
11 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Are you measuring between shore and boat? or the isolation transformer itself?

measuring between shore and boat you do on voltmeter position, not resistance.

Try unplugging shore-power, resistance or voltage should remain the same.

0 Likes 0 ·
kai avatar image kai ♦ Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

good point, the electrical connection might be coming from outside of the iso transformer.

0 Likes 0 ·
neil-jb avatar image neil-jb Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Daniel

Could you possibility of sending me a circuit diagram

I had a Volt reading of 0.018V AC across the two earths

My I add that when unplugged from the shore line it reads open circuit

Any help is most welcome

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ neil-jb commented ·

Hi @Neil JB

So where did you measure this time? especially with shore-power unplugged?

there should be a reading with shore-power unplugged, between the shore-power earth and the boat's earth, either voltage (expected) or at least a resistance.

If not: please get an electrician involved to check your wiring / shore-power wiring.

a diagram you can see here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Isolation-Transformers-EN.pdf

0 Likes 0 ·
neil-jb avatar image neil-jb Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

I meant a internal circuit diagram of the isolating transformer

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ neil-jb commented ·

in the link:

0 Likes 0 ·

I know the basics of a transformer . what I need is the circuit diagram of the control board

question

before I removed the transformer I had a residence of 128 ohms .. removed the transformer and set it on its side sill wired up

when shore line was plugged in there was no residents reading .. could it be a short on the transformer on the neutral side..i did do a 1000v merger test on winding to winding and to earth but all okay ...

I'm running out of idea's to where the fault is

0 Likes 0 ·

@Neil JB

at the diagram above, are you measuring from the left PE to the right PE?

if not, where are you measuring?

0 Likes 0 ·

yes from PE input to PE output

0 Likes 0 ·
neil-jb avatar image neil-jb neil-jb commented ·

could a faulty relay on the main bored cores the problem

0 Likes 0 ·

What version of the transformer do you have? I don't think the normal version has a relay.

but...did you measure the resistance on the transformer with everything disconnected? can you make a picture of where you are measuring?

If you measure with shore supply connected, your actually measuring the resistance between the shore PE and the hull of the boat...

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
kai avatar image
kai answered ·

unless its been jumpered (e.g. for when boat is on the dry) the two earths should not be connected. But if its been jumpered the resistance should be a lot lower than 100 ohms.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

neil-jb avatar image neil-jb commented ·

I've checked that the jumpers are in the right position

would be nice if I had a circuit diagram but can't fined on anywhere

by having a resistance between the two earths defeats the point of having a isolating transformer

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic