question

djwiscombe avatar image
djwiscombe asked

Battery Temperature monitoring with Lynx Shunt

I am installing an all Victron system in a vehicle consisting of 12V lithium batteries, Lynx distribution, Lynx shunt, Ve.Bus BMS, Multiplus, smart battery protects, MPPT, BuckBoost, Digital Multi Control, CCGX and am trying to determine how the battery temperature should be measured in order to prevent charging below 5 degrees.

I have a temperature sensor supplied with the Multiplus and what looks like a temperature sensor supplied with the Lynx shunt. I can't find any info for the Lynx shunt sensor - does it connect to negative or positive as the BMV? The only thing I found was "Please donโ€™t use the 2-pin terminal block on the Lynx-shunt" from https://www.victronenergy.com/live/dc_distribution. If this means the sensor why is it supplied?

The CCGX manual states that DVCC should be enabled when the system is "standard" and there are "intelligent batteries" installed. In this case are the other temperature sensors redundant?

Any clarification appreciated.

Lithium BatteryTemperature SensorDVCClynx shunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
nebulight avatar image
nebulight answered ยท

This is a good question as there is some missing info in the CCGX manual regarding shared temp sense. You might want to double check but I think I remember reading you shouldn't enable DVCC voltage and temp sense with ve.bus batteries. The temp will actually come from the batteries themselves. However I'm not 100% sure as the DVCC manual hasn't been updated for temp sense:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:start#dvcc_features_for_all_systems

If your system is up and running with DVCC turned on, go into your settings and check to see if the temp is being reported on your MPPT in victron connect. If so, it should have settings to disable charge below freezing and your buckboost should be wired to the allow to charge pin on the VE.Bus BMS and that should be disabled in the event of an under temp.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

djwiscombe avatar image djwiscombe commented ยท

I think you are correct. From the CCGX manual DVCC should be enabled but SVS and STS should be off.

I'm not sure if I need to connect the temp sensor to the Multi if DVCC is enabled.

0 Likes 0 ยท

Related Resources

Victron temperature sensor disambiguation table - which product supports which sensor

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

DVCC chapter in GX manual  

Lynx Shunt VE Can online manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic