question

sy-zoe avatar image
sy-zoe asked

Victron Smart battery LifePO4 temp sensor installation

Hello, I have a boat with an installation with a 5KVA/220 Quattro and two 300 AH Victron Smart LifePO4 batteries (in parallel) controlled by via victron BMS. I also have two Smart solar 100/50 MPPTs as part of the charging system, with a Smart BP/220 and connected to both MPPTs. I also have the MPPTs connected to the BMV-712 via CCGX and VE.direct. It's basically an all-victron system.

My question is related to temperature charging protection. Do the smart batteries send the battery temperatures to the quattro and MPPTs automatically via the victron VE.smart network? Or do I need to add hard wired temperature sensors to the LifePO4 batteries to ensure proper charging (and disconnect below 5 degrees C)? I'd like the option to keep solar on during the winter when it will drop below 5C occasionally. And proper charge monitoring on the quattro the rest of the time.

MPPT ControllersLithium BatteryTemperature Sensor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Stop charging/discharging at low temperatures is what the BMS should do.

The Quattro will be shut down via VE.Bus and the MPPS via the "charge disconnect" signal at a BP or Cyrix-li-charge.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron temperature sensor disambiguation table - which product supports which sensor