question

phil warcup avatar image
phil warcup asked

Battery current showin -8.2A

HI All

my voltage dropped to 10.2v last night (5am), dunno why,nothing was running other than a small LED screen? it was my inverter that woke me up beeping, warning of the voltage drop.

I disconnected all my loads and the voltage started going up, again i don't know what this means?

but wats concerning me is the battery current, why is it at -8.2A (5am)?

has anyone had a similar experience or know why or what the problem is ?

battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Phil. Perhaps many of us have experienced something like this, but perhaps never had the kit at the time like you have to confirm it.

Most pb batts will 'bounce back' a little with V when a load is taken off, so your symptoms all confirm a load.

You just have to find it. What is this 'small LED screen'? You may not expect it to draw much, but perhaps it's power supply is the culprit?

Good luck nailing it down.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

It seems there is something connected to the load output of your MPPT.
What happens if you turn off the load output?

3 comments
2 |3000

phil warcup avatar image phil warcup commented ·

not yet turned battery status to 'off'. what does this function do ?

0 Likes 0 ·
Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image Warwick Bruce Chapman phil warcup commented ·

Load output is used to service loads directly with the solar energy from the MPPT/battery and can be configured to use different modes per: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:mppt-solarchargers#load_output

0 Likes 0 ·
Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image Warwick Bruce Chapman commented ·

Sorry, to answer your question the load in question would be wired into the two unused LOAD terminals on your MPPT.

So this is just a guess from is as it is clear there is nothing wired in there using power.

0 Likes 0 ·
phil warcup avatar image
phil warcup answered ·

Thanks for your feed back guys.

Heres an update now that its day light and the sun is shinning.

the voltage has picked up but im still super confused about the battery current -4.2A is this right considering the only thing connected to the mppt (100/20) is the solar panal (270w) and the battery (2201ah).

nothing is connected to the 'load' terminals on the mppt so im not even sure why in 'load output' the current is 8.3A? should the load status be 'off' or 'on' and wats the difference?

Im really scratching my head with this being a first time solar goer.

how does this all look to you ?

this is how my MPPT is wired

5 comments
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

Nothing in the load terminals and A showing isn't right. Try powering it down from both batt & pv. Leave for awhile then reconnect, batt wires first.

If that doesn't improve it, talk to your supplier, might be faulty..

0 Likes 0 ·
Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image Warwick Bruce Chapman commented ·

This looks very weird to me.

Try turning load output off per: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:mppt-solarchargers#load_output

Are you sure the battery is 2201Ah?

Did you mean 220Ah?

What make and type?

0 Likes 0 ·
phil warcup avatar image phil warcup Warwick Bruce Chapman commented ·

my mistake, battery is - 12v 220AH xplorer leisure battery Lead Acid

I wont get a chance to turn the battery status to 'off' untill later.

0 Likes 0 ·
phil warcup avatar image phil warcup phil warcup commented ·

* load output state to 'off'

0 Likes 0 ·
Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image Warwick Bruce Chapman phil warcup commented ·

Not battery status but 'load output'.

0 Likes 0 ·
phil warcup avatar image
phil warcup answered ·

UpDate

I have turned the 'load output' offheres a screen shot after i turned it off and let sit for 30mins. not much action but it wats night time

heres the following day, midday, and things seem to appear more regular.

iv not yet connected all my loads back to the battery yet as i'm still unclear as to how much charge is in it, Im relying on the sun but as its winter i think im in for a slow charge.

2 |3000

tkmbe avatar image
tkmbe answered ·

Could it be a fw related issue? Have a look at

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/33114/load-outputs-not-working-correctly-after-last-upda.html

BTW: Is it possible to do a fw downgrade?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic