Yacht Electrical Problems
We have multiple charging sources:
- Shore Power: Victron Multiplus 3kVA, 240-12V, 120Amp
- Solar Panels: Victron MPPT 150/45, 480W panels
- Genset: Direct DC, 200Amp Alternator, Balmar 614 Smart Regulator
- Engine: Direct DC, 80 Amp Alternator, Balmar 614 Smart Regulator
We have a Victron BMV712 Smart and a Smartguage to monitor the AGM batteries (765 AmpHr).
These have individual charging systems and we find it difficult to balance the system. Consequentially in the morning when the sun activates the solar panels the MPPT charger thinks it’s in Bulk/Absorb but the Shore Power thinks it’s on float. Some cycling occurs as the MPPT tries to take over.
We have been thinking about the priorities:
- When Shore Power is on the MPPT is not required
- When the Genset is on the MPPT is not required
- When the Engine is on the MPPT is not required
What can we do to balance the system?