question

Steve avatar image
Steve asked

What does blue tooth have to do with clearing an E1 error?

I have a SBP-220 in my system. I have been performing a functional checkout of my system and have come across some unusual behavior in the SBP-220. When I tried to return from Off-Load to Active with the Load Output soft switch I received an E1 error, repeatedly.

I read an old post on this site about voltage drop and the length and diameter of the GND connection on the Battery Protector. I tried some of the recommendation, but I couldn’t relocate the SBP-220 so I was stuck with the wiring the way it is.

But what did make a difference really confuses me.

Once I switched the load off via soft switch, then switch my iPhone to Airplane Mode for 30 seconds (dropping out Bluetooth) then back to blue tooth mode, re-establishing communication with the SBP-200 from the Device List, I can then switch the Load Output to Active with no error. Go figure. Does anyone out there have any idea as to why this happens? I found 30 seconds blue tooth drop out was the minimum time period for a successful return to Active, repeatedly.

How does the SBP-200 sample for line conditions and how often? Is it a one-shot check and how long does it check to determine condition. Do the Preset User Defined values or Load Disconnect Mode settings have anything to do with the E1 error when manually trying load the SBP-200 via Load Output soft switch?

Below is the main power layout layer of my mounting shelf. The batteries are just below the shelf, in a lower compartment; needed 6' of 2 AWG wire to connect them. This is a slide out shelf, the reason for the 6' cables.

BluetoothBattery Protecterror
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@steve, if you're using the SBP to disconnect the main DC line to that inverter, that's the problem; use of the SBP in this manner is not supported, as the high inrush current of the inverter charging its capacitors when switched on will invariably cause an E1 error.

Although use of the SBP in this manner has never been supported, this has been made clearer in the recent revision to the instruction manual -with updated prints reflecting how it can be used- which you can find here: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-Smart-Battery-Protect-12V-24V-65-A-100-A--220-A-EN-NL-FR-SV-DE-PT-ES-IT-TR.pdf

I suspect that the reason it's working after a 30-second delay without throwing an error code is because, after the first initial attempt, the capacitors stay charged for a period of time, so the SBP doesn't see that inrush current again until the inverter has been powered down for a while and its caps have discharged.

It's worth noting here that this does not mean you should just keep switching it on and off until it works; that inrush current will eventually damage the SBP, so please re-wire it in accordance with the approved schematics provided by Victron so that you don't experience failure of your SBP in the future, as failure of that device could easily lead to damage or failure of your other connected components.

If, on the other hand, the SBP is not being used to disconnect the inverter, please specify what you're using the SBP for? the schematic doesn't show where that "load" line actually goes...

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Steve avatar image Steve commented ·

Justin,

Thanks for the inverter heads up. Moving the inverter positive from the SBP-Out to SBP-In is a very easy fix. I was hoping the SBP could be used to shut all accessories down on low voltage sensing. The load line goes to my coach OEM disconnect solenoid. I could use the SBP-Alarm point to trigger a relay to shut down the inverter. Thanks again.

0 Likes 0 ·
Steve avatar image Steve commented ·

Justin, moved the invert cable over to the IN on the SBP like it should have been and connected the SBP 'Alarm' to the inverter's 'Ignition' disable input. Now, I've got what I wanted, just in time to put the RV to bed for the winter. Solar charging system is up and running for next spring... Thanks again.

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ Steve commented ·

@Steve, glad to hear it worked!

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron BatteryProtect product page

VictronConnect bluetooth troubleshooting guide

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic