question

brambaut avatar image
brambaut asked

Lynx Power In left or right of Lynx Shunt?

I have to install two 48V 2600Ah parallel OPvZ battery banks to a Lynx Shunt so I will use a Lynx Power-In to connect these batteries to the Lynx Shunt.

As far as I know, you are supposed to connect the batteries to the left side of the Lynx Shunt and the chargers + load (via a Lynx Distributor) to the right side.

However, in my setup it would be more convenient to swap both sides. So is it mandatory to connect the batteries at the left side of the Shunt and the loads/chargers at the right side or can I swap both sides?

Thanks a lot for a quick reply!

lynx shunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
bluelghtning avatar image
bluelghtning answered ·

Just as an FYI, you can reverse the setup and have the batteries on the right and the load on the left of the shunt. There are a total of 5 small wires on the shunt you'll see and I reversed all 5 from one side to the other and it works exactly how it's supposed to. I had my entire system built before the thought of the shunt being backwards even crossed my mind and had a minor meltdown until someone pointed that out with the wires. Whew, saved the day.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

brambaut avatar image
brambaut answered ·

Anybody who knows whether I can connect the POWER IN to the right side of the Lynx Shunt and the DISTRIBUTOR to the left side?

I'm finalizing the setup drawings for this project which has to be installed next week in Tanzania so I need to know quite urgently whether this is possible or not. Thanks for a quick reply!

1 comment
2 |3000

Fideri avatar image Fideri commented ·
@brambaut, are you still in TZ? Do you know any reliable installers familiar with Victron gear? I'm in UG and has been through dozens of installers here but they are all fake. I'm happy to pay transport for a reliable tech.

Fideri

0 Likes 0 ·
stevo07 avatar image
stevo07 answered ·
4 comments
2 |3000

brambaut avatar image brambaut commented ·

Thanks Stevo07, I found and have read that before, but as the left/right guideline is only mentioned in the image and not in the details about the Lynx POWER IN, I am wondering whether this is really mandatory or just an advise.

I would like to keep the 120mm2 wires from the battery banks as short as possible. That is why, as said, in my setup it would be more convenient to connect the batteries on the right side of the Shunt.

Anybody from VE around here that can verify whether this is possible?

0 Likes 0 ·
stevo07 avatar image stevo07 brambaut commented ·

The shunt has a battery side and a load side so you need to have this the right way around otherwise you will get wrong readings

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ brambaut commented ·

If you connect the batteries to the right side the shunt will measure the current flow wrong. Charging current will measured as discharge current and vise versa.

0 Likes 0 ·
brambaut avatar image brambaut Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

OK, thanks a lot!

0 Likes 0 ·
nsmeyer avatar image
nsmeyer answered ·

I have just ran into this same problem on a boat. Seems like an easy fix compared to a complete reconfigure.Have you had any negative outcome to changing the 5 small wires?

1 comment
2 |3000

matthias-nagel avatar image matthias-nagel commented ·
What kind of negative side effects do you expect? On the product page is a photo of the Lynx Shunt with its cover removed. You can clearly see the five wires: black, red, green, white and and orange. All five wires have screw terminals at their end and are fixed with a screw and washer to the bus bars. Simply unfasten the screws, swap the wires and fasten the screws again. That's it.
0 Likes 0 ·
ahtrimble avatar image
ahtrimble answered ·

I just put together a system with 2 PowerIns and a Shunt. But the same config would apply to a PowerIn, Shunt, and Distributor.

First, left/right isn't the point with the units since they can be installed in any orientation, including upside down.

First is the Shunt wiring diagram. Notice the battery side is the side with the "prongs" (i.e. exposed busbars). For the shunt to read/display correctly the batteries must be attached to that side of the Shunt.

Next is my system set-up that I just put into play yesterday. Excuse the messy wiring, I still have to put the wires/cablesx into wire ducts.

Notice I placed a Class-T (400amp) between the PowerIn (battery busbar, line side) and the Shunt (load side). But there is still a 400amp CNN fuse in the Shunt as well.

On the load side is another PowerIn (with fuses) that I used for the 2xQuattros and the 2xMPPTs. I needed to install that upside down to make the wiring more feasible. But, since I did that I had to use two short 4/0 cables to criss-cross the distributor PowerIn and Shunt terminals for correct connections.

Note: I think, I am not sure, that if Shunt's internal wiring would be modified (i.e. changed) it might affect warranty coverage, etc.

lynxshunt-1.jpg

lynxsystem-1.jpg

lynxshunt-1.jpg (79.3 KiB)
lynxsystem-1.jpg (114.4 KiB)
2 |3000

emcommer avatar image
emcommer answered ·

I've heard if you reverse which side the small wires are on it reverses the charge/discharge direction...

2 |3000

mclaren23 avatar image
mclaren23 answered ·

Thanks for sharing this information.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic