question

neil avatar image
neil asked

Is the inverter damaged if negative supply is cut off?

Phoenix Inverter 12V 250W

If this inverter is wired with a remote switch supplying 12v to the left hand contact of the two pole connector for a remote switch and this is on, and its +12v main supply is connected but the 0V DC main cable is NOT connected will the inverter be damaged.

I know this sounds like a strange question but explaining why would take a while!

thanks

Neil

Phoenix Inverterwiringswitch
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi @Neil

I don't -think- it would hurt it, but please try to always first connect the batteries and then the control wires, just to be sure.

With bigger units, controls wired to external contacts, you risk frying all kinds of circuits if the negative battery connection is open, because currents can flow through control boards instead of the battery. (that's also why it's always advised to use 'dry contacts' so switches ore relays to connect to control inputs with those units)

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Any recommendation about inverter chassis grounding?

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

I can't imagine any reason why this should damage the inverter.

Have you done this and the inverter is not working anymore?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

neil avatar image
neil answered ·

Hi Thanks for the answer. I'm asking this as a pre purchase & installation question, so if I wire it that way and damage the unit it would be not invalidate the guarantee. thanks again Neil

2 |3000

neil avatar image
neil answered ·

hello Daniel

I also have a battery charger and diesel heater and found when they are connected but turned off they actually draw a small amount of power. I wondered if this is is the same with the inverter so when its turned off but the main DC cables are connected will it have a small current draw - even if its just milliamps?

thanks

Neil

2 |3000

Related Resources

Phoenix Inverter product page

Phoenix Inverter Smart product page

Victron Wiring Unlimited Book

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic