question

Les Rollins avatar image
Les Rollins asked

Best generator compatible with victron equipment

I've found out today that my old kipor 6.7kva is not compatible with our victron multiplus inverter charger 12/3000/120 the electricity is to dirty. What genny about the 5kva / 6kva mark would give off clean enough electricity for our victron equipment to work for off grid use. We are in the uk. Any help appreciated thanks

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerGenerator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @LesRollins

Generator availability varies a lot with different regions. You definitely want one that is serviceable locally to you.

I cover this briefly in the intro to the MultiPlus Generator FAQ - have you already tried all the suggestions in there with your existing generator?

If you have tried all of those, and it STILL isn't working (which is unusual), then I would suggest calling up your local Victron Dealer, and asking them which generators have they have used successfully with Victron equipment that are available and serviceable locally.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Les Rollins avatar image Les Rollins commented ·

Hi@Guy Stewart I have tried all options that I am capable of in the link you provided and have reached the conclusion that the inverter charger is just not going to accept the electricity from the kipor 6.7kva. I'm disappointed that victron equipment cannot seem to sort itself out a little better without having to go down the route of purchasing expensive generators

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ Les Rollins commented ·

In my experience it is unusual for a generator to be rejected once weak AC is enabled, UPS is disabled, a 500W resistive load is on the generator side, and AC input current limit is set to the minimum for power assist.

What are the symptoms of the rejection? Never connects, a breaker trips, quick connection and then rejection, any loading on the generator?

Do you know the sine wave output quality/shape of the genny?

Are you able to connect an MK3 USB and be in VEConfigure with the latest firmware all round? That will give some more insight into why there might be an issue.

0 Likes 0 ·
Les Rollins avatar image Les Rollins Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi@Guy Stewart sorry for the delay in responding to you.

Weak AC is enabled

UPS is disabled

The generator is a diesel kipor KDE6700 I'm not sure of the sine wave quality or shape it was a second hand generator.

It as tended to play up more since fitting the new victron inverter charger 12/3000/120 The symptoms are connection then sometimes rejection during certain cycles of the washing maching perhaps it is changing it's load requirements on the generator but the inverter charger doesn't like it probably spiking rather than smooth. I did try a friends kipor sinemaster ig6000 with no problems at all I just thought the victron should be able to sort things out a lot better. Which would be the best generator to look for an inverter generator or one with AVR.

The washing machine works perfectly straight from the generator but then my batteries are not getting charged.

I have a MK3 usb to allow me to change things on the inverter charger.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ Les Rollins commented ·

Was there any change in behaviour (sounds of genny or inverter, speed of disconnecting, etc) when adjusting the Dynamic current limiter setting, and PowerAssist?

Does the Multi otherwise charge normally (without the washing machine load), and does it reconnect once the washing machine is done?

0 Likes 0 ·
Les Rollins avatar image Les Rollins Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·
  • Hi@GuyStewart

I've not observed any changes in the genny when it is running I will keep an eye on it next time I will also observe the ac meter fitted on the genny to see if it fluctuates much. The genny cable is about 15 metres from genny to inverter charger.

The inverter charges normally without any problems I think that the inverter charger doesn't like the changes in the power requirements when there are various loads on washing machine, microwave, hoover etc all things work perfect when connected straight to the genny perhaps the electricity from the genny is to dirty

0 Likes 0 ·
Tom avatar image
Tom answered ·

My 3600 watts Onan Cummings propane Generator plays well with my Multiplus 24/3000.

2 |3000

christyler avatar image
christyler answered ·

I use a Cummins Onan qd5000 with my Quattro. Works perfectly.

2 |3000

Les Rollins avatar image
Les Rollins answered ·

What would be the best generator to look for that would be compatible with victron equipment. One with a good AVR or a good inverter generator I'm at a loss

2 comments
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

What about PMA generators?

0 Likes 0 ·
Les Rollins avatar image Les Rollins klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

I am UK based so not sure about PMA generators so I'll look into them. Looked into stephill and smdo I think that's what they are called

0 Likes 0 ·