question

kyle-hawker avatar image
kyle-hawker asked

When I connect my two Multiplus 2 together via RJ45 cable, they both crash and turn off?

I have two identical Multiplus- II 48v/3000kva/120v. I have them powering a double pull 30-amp breaker at my cabin, each multi supplying 1 leg of power to each side of the breaker. I run my well off the panel, so I need the 240v. They are running things as they should. However, I want to be able to monitor and control them via VRM and Victron Connect, so I've been trying to configure them. I have a Cerbo-GX. If I try to plug 1 inverter via a cat 6 cable (RJ45) to the other (ve bus to ve bus), it crashes and both turn off. If I plug the 2nd multi into the Cerbo, they both crash and both turn off. I've watched so many videos and read manuals on configuring the multis via vebus configure, quick configure, victron connect.... but none of them have worked for me. I've updated the firmware in each, separately via the mk3-USB cable. So my question is, should the inverters be crashing when I link them together, and if so, I'm assuming it has to do with the system configuration... do I need to have both of them connect via dongles for victron connect to be able to see them both and then it will as me to configure? Right now that isn't any option for me.

I also would like to just say, if Steve Jobs was still alive and had even a month with Victron, their products would be so much more user friendly and easy to use. The fact that you have to buy all these separate items, like a simple dongle so your MultliPlus 2 has bluetooth, or a cerbo and touch 50/70 so you can actually see what it's doing without bluetooth, is not user friendly. I think the products are very well built and will last a long time, just the interface, monitoring, and ease of use across victron connect, VRM, and the software is all together not very smooth in my opinion.

Multiplus-IImultiplus ve.busmultiple inverters
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Fideri avatar image Fideri commented ·
@Kyle Hawker

Some people never use Steve Jobs products because they find them too inflexible. I think it's a valid opinion.

F.

1 Like 1 ·
2 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

I would suggest you use veflash and reset each one, then follow the setup process for parallel, split or 3-phase (whichever you are attempting).

Try another cable and be sure to not accidentally connect the wrong port on the GX - though this should be a later step after quick configure.

Steve Jobs made a consumer product for the mass market.

Victron make a professional product for trained and experienced installers, it was never intended for the DIY/enthusiast market that has more recently gravitated towards it.

There is always a trade off when a system is very flexible and can be configured in many different ways, but with proper research and online training, it should not be difficult for anyone with a suitable technical background.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

waninae39 avatar image
waninae39 answered ·

maybe try an ethernet cross over cable

that is used to connect a rtr to a rtr

or sw to sw

rtr to sw used a std cable

1 comment
2 |3000

NO, VE.Bus or VE.Can uses straight patch cables. -> read manual
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources