question

Les Rollins avatar image
Les Rollins asked

Victron multiplus inverter charger shutting down on shoreline power

I've just installed a victron inverter charger 12/3000/120 when on shoreline which is provided by two generators kipor 6.7kva and a honda eu20i. The inverter charger shuts down for a brief period if say the hoover is switched the ac power then kicks in again and everything is fine as long as you leave it in the same socket you can switch it on and off without any problems as soon as you move it to another socket the same happens again. If the hoover is plugged straight into the genny it works without any problems is there any settings that can be changed in the inverter charger. Weak ac is enabled. The shoreline is set to 16 amps. As anyone got an answer to why this happens just getting frustrated

victron products
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Les Rollins avatar image Les Rollins commented ·

The same happens if it's on charger only or with the genny running through the inverter

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Have you tried enabling the dynamic current limiter feature?

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

That feature as already been enabled

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ Les Rollins commented ·

Have you tried disabling it, and is there any difference at all in performance, behaviour or sound with the setting enabled or disabled?

0 Likes 0 ·
Les Rollins avatar image Les Rollins Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

I haven't tried disabling the feature yet. I had a good read through the link that you sent. Is it worth me trying to disable the ups function, disabling LOM, and changing the minimum and maximum voltage levels if so what would they be changed to. Using 230v set to 16 amps, using generators honda eu20i and a kipor 6.7kva

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Les. Just some thoughts:

With 'Weak ac' enabled, your hoover now has to deal with a power factor other than unity, and something mightn't like that. The Honda should work with it unticked, maybe..

Your 16A 230V limit is too much for the Honda, and would trip it. But there's a fair chance you're not reaching that because of 'Weak ac', and what the Multi can accept is likely well below that.

You also have 'overruled by remote' ticked, and if you had say a GX box set for something different, then it would use that other setting.

With a genny on AC IN of the Multi, there could be much of that ac current being used to charge batts too, so mightn't be much left for the hoover. You could try limiting the batt charge current to see if that makes a difference.

PowerAssist should in theory deal with that, and you could try altering it's 'boost factor'. No personal experience with that..

But I'd load your system up and check what A your system can actually accept from the genny. My 48/5000 can't go beyond 9A @230V with 'weak ac' checked, and I suspect yours may be even lower.

Don't get frustrated - get informed. :) Good luck too.

2 comments
2 |3000

Be very careful adjusting the boost factor, only adjust it in very small increments and test it each time to see if there is any improvement.

0 Likes 0 ·

Do I need to have the overuled by remote ticked ? Equipment on boat is the victron mppt, victron inverter charger and bmv monitor. Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
Les Rollins avatar image
Les Rollins answered ·

Thank you for your answer I had a good read regarding generators on the link you sent and I shall change a few settings today and see what happens I will let you know how things go

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic