question

casper avatar image
casper asked

VE.BUS Smart dongle + Venus GX temperature sensing

Hi Victron,

I just want to make sure I'm understanding this correct. I have a Multiplus 2 which appears to be the unit without the temperature sensor inputs. For temperature sensing to be incorporated with the Multiplus 2 you would require the VE.BUS smart dongle. I also have a Venus GX device with additional temperature probes.

On the VE.BUS smart dongle manual however it states the following:

"In systems with a GX device, and another source of temperature and voltage data (eg from a CANbus battery), the CCGX data will override temperature and voltage information from the dongle."

Based on the above explanation it seems that the dongle is not required anymore if you want temperature compensation to happen as the Venus GX uses its temperature probe values? Previous older posts it states that the dongle is needed.

Could some light be shed on this please so that I can make the correct decisions?

Thanks

Venus GX - VGXVE.Bus Smart Dongle
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @casper

no, you need a 'source of temperature and voltage data' like the BMV

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Venus GX manual

Venus GX product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic